1. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

How do You Discover?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Not the Territory, Oct 31, 2023.

For the majority of the books you read, how do you end up learning about them in the first place these days? Fiction, non-fiction, doesn't matter.

ps102 and Madman like this.
  2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

How do you Discover?

Saw title, thought I had run across credit card commercial. :cool:

It's actually kind of a tough question. It's sort of different every time. I remember I discovered Charles Portis because when I saw the remake of True Grit, it was so good, and it included inner monologue as voiceover that was obviously directly from the book, in a style I really liked, so I looked into it. Sometimes maybe something gets a good mention or several in here or on youtube videos. Sometimes it's just like "I liked that one book by this guy, I should try another one." And sometimes I deliberately go looking for certain kinds of books. Like recently when I decided to do a search for transcendent writing, and ran across Transcendent Writers in Stephen King's Fiction.

Also I discovered Gene Wolfe and Paulo Bacigalupe and several other sci-fi writers when I did a search for Best Science Fiction and looked at a bunch of lists.

Not the Territory likes this.
  3. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Well, I either search for the things I want in my book, or ask on the internet for books that have those things that I want to read about. That usually leads me to what I want. I want to read good fiction so that it helps me improve as a writer. At the same time I want to read less known works by non-fameous authors to support them, but since it's so hit and miss in that field, it makes it difficult to find quality. And I am no good judge, I like most things science fiction, so someone who writes badly can still have a good story that I will enjoy. But then the dilemma is that I might pick up bad habits.

So for now, I stick to fameous science fiction works. Which is a shame really.

4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

When I read a story I like in a literary journal or magazine, I will often flip to the back to see if that author has a novel or collection out.

I am also old school. I regularly go to a little bookstore and just browse, picking up things that look good and reading a few pages. That sort of thing. I truly enjoy buying books in person. I will also chat with the knowledgable staff there about what's new and books in general. If you find a good bookshop, I suggest frequenting it, especially if it's an independent operation. These places are great, and giving them our business is important, IMO.

Same goes for libraries. Which reminds me I have some books that are way overdue.

I also go by friend recommendations. My friends read a lot, and we often talk about books so this can really make me pick books as well.

Not the Territory and ps102 like this.
  5. ps102

ps102 PureSnows102 Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

A physical bookstore is a wonderful place. There's lots of books to explore, and you can read the first couple of pages and decide if it's something you might like.

Amazon has previews exactly for this reason, too. That said, Amazon is also good for discovery because it has a recommendation section. It's given me some solid reads in the past.

Still, nothing beats being in an actual bookstore where you're surrounded by books and their papery, chemical smell. Plus, there's no stupid Amazon algorithm to decide what you might like. You're exposed to new things the algorithm couldn't predict you'd like. In other words, you're much more free. It's a whole other experience for sure.

Not the Territory and deadrats like this.
  6. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I mostly pick stuff up off the library's "new books" display.

7. Nomad416

Nomad416 Member

Reading samples on Kindle mainly.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
  8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Although I love second hand bookshops, space is finite so I also buy a lot on kindle, generally from the recommendations when I finish the last one

9. ps102

I was in a book store this Thursday. It made me think back to this thread, so I paid attention to the way I "discover" books.

What I did is circle the sections that interest me (I stay away from horror, romance and some others) and eye some titles in the spines. I pick up the titles that intrigue me, read the blurb and open the book to read a couple of paragraphs. Then I re-shelve the book, repeat this several other times with other books, and I compare them all in my head (or at least the ones that stayed in memory) and make a choice.

Sometimes though a book will instantly capture me and I'll pick it up straightaway. Last time I've had this happen was with Victoria Hislop's One August Night. Took me 3 seconds to decide just from the first few paragraphs.

Interesting... what they say here is true. Openings are a big deciding factor for readers.

Love book stores. Such calming places. You're surrounded by stories.

10. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

My favorite books (i will never forget), I discovered in middle school. We didn't have a library... but a room with boxes and boxes of used and donated books. they were not sorted through at all because there were various books from adult to infant.
    one day I was curious and went in there and the janitor said to take what I wanted, so I took an arm load of books that I still love today (they were definitely too old for me to read back then lol, but I can appreciate them now).

Then, growing up, I spent a lot of time at the library after school (shocker). I'd browse around and check out what seemed interesting, but I had a genre I always gravitated toward and would go state to those (in Childrens and sometime YA sections of the library, they are arranged by genre and/or have a section for series). I read almost all of the Dear America historical fiction series. Worked my way through Goosebumps. I didn't really start seeking out fantasy until middle school. Thats when I read everything from horror, mystery/thriller, dramas, historicals, etc. all except romance.... Twilight was the only exception.
    And I discovered THAT when I was at the book store. it seemed interesting. i'd never read much about vampires other than the horror one by Cooney (this was before Twilight got popular because I was maybe on the 3rd book when everyone started talking about it and picking Teams at school). I enjoyed the series and thought to try another vampire romance book... so I bought the first Vampire Diaries book.... and hated it. Did not finish.

This kinda went on through high school and college... discovering books at the library or at the bookstore or Amazon's recommendations based on the books I purchased.

As an adult.... the library. Came with the job. I had to read synopses in journals, magazines, library listservs. Conferences, author visits (I read one book because the author visit was so great that it made me want to read the book she talked about). And to be in a Readers Advisory role, I learned that I had to read a number of genres and various authors in order to familiarize myself with the genre and to keep current information on trending genres

11. B.E. Nugent

B.E. Nugent Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Most of my sibs are readers, sometimes we swap around recommendations, sometimes the books themselves. I've one brother who's read it, whatever it is.

I do like the lucky dip of a second hand bookstore, usually a section in a charity shop. I read the first couple of paragraphs if it's something unfamiliar and purchase according to what appears to be the tone set out in the first page, hooked more by manner of delivery/writing style than hints at potential plot development. Yesterday, I picked up a few; a tiny, inch-square in dimensions, copy of Shakespeare's sonnets and another by an unfamiliar author because there was a Christmas card from persons unknown to other persons unknown tucked inside the cover. That's a little bit of history right there.

12. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I forgot about this.
    I have an older brother who was not really big on reading much outside of Manga. But there were 2 non-manga series that he read. as soon as he finished a book, he'd give it to me to read and start the next book in the series. we managed to read all 15 books of one series and then when our little sister could read, we gave them to her (who loved them!)
    the other series was a trilogy. same thing.... he'd finish a book and give it to me to read.
    [​IMG]

upload_2024-1-21_15-20-19.png

B.E. Nugent likes this.
  13. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I'm pretty much the opposite. My arms are often full of books before I think about reshelfing some of them.

This I can relate to. I only pick up books that I can't wait to read and fall for quickly with their openings. And it is a pretty quick decision to make, knowing I'm pretty much hooked or not.

The worst can be when I forget my glasses (this happens a lot to me). But then I will look for books I haven't read my authors who have already captured me. Although, I have been known to take a chance on something even if I can't make out much more than the title and the author without my glasses. Throughout my life, I would have to say, I've read very few books that I haven't fully enjoyed.

Another thing is that I like to read books that win awards like a Booker or Pulitzer. And I like to read the books that make the shortlist as well. I have always found reading these works quite satisfying. And these are pretty much always good pickups when I forget to bring my glasses with me to the bookstore.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
    ps102 likes this.
  14. ps102

I mean, if I could, I would pick up all of them. And I suspect when I go back to the shop, I'll pick those too. I particularly found more Victoria Hislop novels and I really wanted to get them. But I gotta be sensible. One book at a time!

I'll often finish what I get too. I only started to read back in 2019 because of some standard English classes so my "reading life" has been relatively short. But so far, I've only put down a handful of books without the intention of finishing them. From memory, Photographer of the Lost is one. Couldn't stand the constant switching between past, present and all the different POVs. Snow Crash is another. I couldn't stand the writing style.

It's sad that I didn't like Snow Crash though. I bought it used and it had a little gift note tucked inside written with very good penmanship. Sad to think that a gift was sold, so I really wanted to like it. But alas...

Can't remember the others. I keep them in a specific place just in case. The Snow Crash novel is in Greece though, hidden in a closet at my parent's home. I'm not going to get rid of it just in case my future self does end up liking it.

15. Lili.A.Pemberton

Lili.A.Pemberton Active Member

Recently been trying to read more. Can't go to bookstores sadly, none in my area that's within walking distance, so I usually resort to the Libby app. They've got a "recommended by your librarian" section I sometimes browse through. Also wanted to get my hands on more lengthy classics that I won't be able to read entirely in the 21-days before I'd have to return it so I've been browsing Project Gutenberg for both classics I've always wanted to read and some I've never heard of. Other than that, Booktubers. Jack Edwards who hosted last years Booker Prize awards show is on Youtube and he recommends a lot of good books. First time I read Giovanni's Room was because of him and I thank him for it greatly.