1. ELeFloch

ELeFloch Member

Wedding Traditions and Details From Ancient and Midieval Times

Discussion in 'Research' started by ELeFloch, Jun 22, 2017.

Hey everyone

My characters in my new book are going to be getting married, an alliance between two kingdoms, and I was wondering about some traditions and different things that would happen in a marriage. The novel is set in a fantasy setting so it doesn't have to be 100% accurate for traditions, but from the research I have done it looks like most things were heading along the same lines they were now. Any ideas or thoughts?

2. Quanta

Quanta Senior Member

The Middle Ages cover a long period of time. I would pick the epoch which best matches what I have in mind for architecture, dress style, etc and go from there. Your scene will include more than just the rituals, so you should be able to make it feel unique by bouncing between setting, action, characters inner's thoughts and feelings...

3. gaja

gaja New Member

Geographical setting is also very important. One example: In the north of Europe, the bride and groom would walk together up the isle. This thing with the father giving the bride away is from England/France. Also, there were strict rules for which brides could wear which colors (never white, but blue or scarlet depended on your title). So you need to decide which part of Europe you want to draw inspiration from. I'm just guessing it is Europe, since you talk about medieval times. If it is Asia, Africa or other places, i have no idea.

4. ELeFloch

ELeFloch Member

It's more of a made up place in my mind, and yes most likely Europe. I have my wedding planned in my head for the story, and I think it's going to turn out well.

5. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

I had a Roman wedding (primarily) in the Eagle and the Dragon, listed on this site, though it took place in China 2000 years ago. It was primarily Roman, but with a few traditions from Chinese, Jewish, Arab, Xiongnu and other cultures, as it was a very polyglot group of travelers. You can take a look and see if you get any ideas, I did a lot of research to make that come out right.

ELeFloch likes this.
  6. ELeFloch

ELeFloch Member

Thank you! I will for sure! I have mostly been using Scottish traditions it seems, but when I go back to edit and rework a few things I feel like it will change some.

7. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

How about you make up a wedding tradition based on the cultures you have set up so far? Many wedding traditions start when a famous couple, especially royal couples, decide they want to do something special, and then the common folks just copy. Others are based on religious beliefs and whatnot.

Coming up with your own wedding traditions can also help to make the cultures of your world more...what was the word I am looking for...alive? robust? realistic? Eh whatever. you get the idea.

ELeFloch likes this.
  8. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

Oh, yes, there was also a Graeco-Bactrian wedding for King Vima Kadphises' daughter in a subsequent chapter in Bagram, which introduced Buddhist and Zoroastrian threads to the Greek weave. Yes, that is the Bagram that is in Afghanistan, back then "Bactria of the Thousand Richest Cities."

ELeFloch likes this.
  9. ladyserenity

ladyserenity Member

You might want to think about whether it's going to be late middle ages or early middle ages. The early middle ages viewed marriage as a secular thing, whereas by the mid to late middle ages marriage was seen as something very religious.

ELeFloch likes this.