1. blklizard

blklizard Member

Blklizard's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by blklizard, Nov 29, 2016.

Hi everyone!

This is blklizard and I recently joined the forum. Still have to wait nine days or so before I post (assuming my critiques are considered constructive :p).

During the wait, I've decided to have my attempt at my first novel. I still don't have a title yet because it's really early in its first draft. I got 5,000 words so far which is a start.

The plot basically revolves around the ruling family of a nation that begins as a small kingdom. I might be too ambitious but I hope to go through several generations of the rulers (kings and queens). The existing ruler will be the protagonist and I will be using third person limited. I'm trying to see the world through them during the ups and downs of this nation which will eventually be Ireland.

This is an alternate history where I'm trying to have as much freedom as I can while not making it completely unrealistic. There is no magic or anything of that sort but I want to add in some myths to spice up the story. Overall, I just want to put the idea down and see what I get.

I will be attempting a NaNoWriMo format where I aim for quantity first before I start breaking it down and flesh things out.

My goal for next Thursday: 22,000 word count

2. ToDandy

ToDandy Senior Member

Welcome to the forum! 22,000 is a lot to get to in a little over a week, good luck. I wish I could write that fast.

3. blklizard

blklizard Member

Thanks for the welcome! Like I said, I'm aiming for quantity so my quality is going to suffer greatly. I have an idea already so I hope I have enough momentum to get to my goal. Let's not forget that I have 5,000 words already so it's only 17,000 words in over a week. :p

4. blklizard

blklizard Member

I have reached Thursday so here is a small update.

Novel 1:

Going through the ages as the rulers of a kingdom. Alternate history aiming for somewhat realistic events. No fantasy (therefore no magic or any of those fun stuff :p).

I have reached 22,000 words for my first novel. That's the good news. The bad news is what I wrote is more of an outline than a novel. I got a lot more ideas as a result (possibly enough for multiple novels if I can persevere) and will have to break the piece into different sections to start tackling the sections bit by bit as I move forward.

By December 22 (two weeks from now), I aim to reach: 22,000 + (14 * 500) = 29,000 words.

Novel 2:

In the continent of Dadroya, we watch as the fantasy world unfold through the eyes of a young child.

Getting a bit ambitious, I have decided to start my second novel. I'll probably be alternating back and forth depending on which one I have more interest in. I got almost 1,000 words for my second novel. Will go slower paced than novel 1 as I work steadily through it and ponder over what directions I want to go.

By December 22 (two weeks from now), I aim to reach: 1,000 + (14 * 500) = 8,000 words

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  5. blklizard

blklizard Member

For both novels, I had reached the word count by today.

I plan on taking a break over the Christmas holidays so I'll be start new goals on New Years. Let's hope I do better with these goals than my usual New Years resolutions. :p

6. blklizard

blklizard Member

Holiday is over so I'll be resuming my goals. Wish me luck! :)

Novel 1:

Going through the ages as the rulers of a kingdom. Alternate history aiming for somewhat realistic events. No fantasy (therefore no magic or any of those fun stuff :p).

By January 17 (two weeks from now), I aim to reach: 29,000 + (14 * 500) = 36,000 words.

Novel 2:

In the continent of Dadroya, we watch as the fantasy world unfold through the eyes of a young child.

By January 17 (two weeks from now), I aim to reach: 8,000 + (14 * 500) = 15,000 words

Arcadeus likes this.