Tags:
  1. Kolinek

Kolinek New Member

Blockade in my brain.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kolinek, Jan 10, 2018.

Hello.
    I want to ask you for a little advice. Just as a little context two words about me: From my youngest age I have been making stories inside my mind. It is increadibly entertining to create characters and put them into various situations. It makes me feel that I have unlimited power in world that I created and I just love that.

As time passed I understood that those stories are in some way meaningless if I don't share them with people or just somehow prevent them from falling into oblivion. Obviously I thought that writing them down would be a solid way to accomplish that. Unfortunately nothing is easy in this world. I quickly run into troubles. Writing takes time, a lot of it. On the other hand my brain runs wild all the time. As i finish writing one chapter of a story I have it complete in my mind. Of course my brain just can't take a break until I finish writing. In short period of time I have another story on mind whitch appears to be a lot better then last one. This is blocking me from writing. I am not feeling that my old story is bad, I just cannot resist focusing on newer ones and I don't know how to overcome that sensation.

I feel that it is nothing uncommon, so I decided to ask for help. I just find clicking the keys on keyboard exhausting. It feels like just rewriting someone's story, not creating new one.

Is there a way to overcome this feeling or should I just treat putting words on monitor as a necessery work and live with it?

2. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

You could use your stories and characters for other things. You sound like you could be an interesting dungeon master for D&D. I find that playing games like that allow me to dump out the various ideas rattling around in my head and focus me on the ones I want to write about.

CoyoteKing and John Calligan like this.
  3. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Good Boi Contributor

Yeah, I agree.

It sounds like you enjoy the creative part, but hate the actual "writing it down" part.

Dungeons and Dragons is a great creative outlet. I almost quit writing when I discovered D&D. It fills a really similar creative urge. There's lots of different tabletop games. If you like sci-fi, there's Shadowrun... if you like vampires, there's Vampire: The Masquerade... there's even online games you can join if you don't have a local group.

Otherwise, I don't know if there's a solution. Write shorter stories? Power through it?

4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Have you considered putting it in as a graphic novel/manga? It’s all visuals and dialogue (from what I get) so no need to sweat describing how Susan reached a shaking hand for the bronze doorknob and pulled it open, skin crawling from its hinges’ hideous creaks.

Not sure of the nuances of graphic novels/mangas, but if you’re able to take the time to learn how to draw, it might be a good creative outlet.

5. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Writing makes me feel alive. And I know it takes a lot of time and editing takes even more time. Everyone's got an imagination and can think up story. But a writer has something beyond that and knows how tell a good story, not just think one up. But there's no way getting around the hard work it takes to write a story. I just keep thinking that if you're not enjoying the writer, you must not be doing it right, but I know there's no one way to write. I think it's totally normal when we are writing to get new, shiny ideas that seem distracting. Would you enjoy writing those stories more?

6. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

It's a myth that writers just sit down and the words pour out onto the screen/paper. Fact is, putting words onto the screen (or paper) requires hard work. If you are not prepared to do that hard work, you can look for a different, easier sort of medium. You can record videos of yourself telling a story and put those on Youtube (not necessarily with your face on them, the narration can be just in the background of a still image). You can make a blog and put videos there, too. Or, if you are more technical, you can create podcasts. But in any case, taking your work to the reader would require some sort of work. If you just want to preserve the stories for yourself (or future generations, too!) you can just record the stories via microphone on a digital media of your preference. That would be the minimum effort.