1. R. Ellis Novak

R. Ellis Novak New Member

Help Me Name a Comic Book Team

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by R. Ellis Novak, Jun 23, 2014.

Hi everyone,

I normally don't venture into writing forums, but in this case, I'm stuck. I am writing a comic book series, which I will draw as well, and although the writing is going excellently, I have yet to name the team and/or the series. I could use some real help here.

First, a couple things about the project. It is an odd mixture of action/sci-fi/fantasy. Sounds strange, right? It takes place on Earth, in a contemporary setting. The team is a sort of "Blackwater" (remember them from Iraq?) who has a contract with the government to deal with extraordinary terrorist threats. In other words, they are a very tech-heavy mercenary team, made of the best and brightest in their respective fields. Each member was hired because of the specific skills they possessed, not because of Affirmative Action or because anyone owed a favor to anyone else. They clash with the government quite a bit because they don't want to turn over the tech they develop, while the government thinks it would benefit the "greater good" to do so (the government wants their cool weapons).

There is a terrorist who is basically the complete opposite of the team, wreaking havoc on an enormous scale across the world. He's the "fantasy" aspect of the story. He's - stay with me here! - an elderly Nazi-created Swiss genius goat-man who can teleport. Yes, read that again. What you're picturing in your head is probably correct. He's: created an army of homeless men and women who act as his enforcement unit; created a new drug called Silence to keep the people from uprising, and has taken over the cartels to produce and distribute the drug; and has no problem decapitating anyone who gets in his way.

So here we are. The good team needs a name, the comic book needs a name, and they can either be the same or be different.

I was thinking about holding an informal contest to see who can create the best name or names. I plan on publishing this book electronically and in hardcopy when I get it complete. Let's say the top five (if there are that many) will get e-versions sent via email when I get them done, and the top contributor will get a signed printed copy, assuming I ever make it that far, and will have their name mentioned in print as the person who named the team and/or book.

Any questions? Let me know.

Thanks!

R. Ellis Novak

2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

What sort of tone is it? Serious? Humourous? As there is a teleporting goat-man (awesome, by the way), I'm guessing it's the latter. If that's the case, then your intended audience needs to know that it's humourous. Something like 'Doom Platoon', 'The ETA boys', or 'Tech Patrol'. You could even add the villain into the title - how does 'Doom Platoon Vs. Goat-man' sound? Okay, maybe not.

If something more serious, then what about something simple, like 'Metal'. Saying you're a member of Metal sounds pretty cool. :D Other names could be 'Dark League', 'The Outlaw Club', 'Power United'.

If none of these suit, then tell us a little more of the tone, the characters, their clothing, etc. But hopefully you've found something from what I've suggested. :)

3. R. Ellis Novak

It's very realistic (as far as that's possible with a teleporting goat man, etc). So, very serious situation, and frank reactions ranging from shock and anger to humor. I wouldn't call the series lighthearted, but there are lighthearted moments.

Let's see... the main character is the most intelligent human alive, but she doesn't want to stand out so she pretends to be a slutty cheerleader.

There's a crusty action hero (think Race Bannon from Johnny Quest); a human brain housed in a deliciously curvy android figure; a living zombie who can't stop generating neutron radiation; a super mellow guy who's absolutely genius-level when it comes to tech (he designs and builds their stuff), and a guy who's super strong and can fly, and is the villain's son and a traitor to the team. And these are the good guys.

Thanks for the interest!

4. Oak7ree

Oak7ree Member

How about the Lawmen, the Birds of Prey, or the United Heroes of Ultimate Good, simply the UHUG (the humor option)?

5. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I like Lawmen.

6. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Ironguard...Rightquest...Justice Force...Pride Avenge...Hell Benders

The only problem, to me, is that your good guys sound like bad guys and...

'Army of homeless guys...'

How about homeless ex-army guys take on Blackwater...

Sunglasses and flak jackets must surely be entirely practical on the battlefield - but for me (as a reader) they go against the grain of heroic fiction construct - the 'some kind of skinny guy' vs the stormtroopers...?

Good luck buddy :)

7. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Sounds like there is a bit of humor to it, so how about something like, "The Wild Bunch."

8. R. Ellis Novak

Thanks guys! I like some of these. Keep them going if you can. I think I'm close to something.

And yes, these good guys do have a little bit of bad in them. Just as much as the average person probably.

9. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

Since you mentioned Blackwater and mercenary work I can't help but think that a more corporate sounding name would be appropriate.
    Something that can be shortened to acronym.
    Best I can come up with off hand is:

"Highly Advanced Vigilante Operations Corporation (H.A.V.O.C.)"

matwoolf likes this.