1. CaptainFlowers

CaptainFlowers New Member

Desert World Creatures and Settings

Discussion in 'Research' started by CaptainFlowers, Oct 10, 2017.

Salutations! The title really says it all; I've developed a story, a character, and a world that's called Esshmyr. I've fleshed it out with details and past events, but I'm having trouble filling it with creatures suitable to a desert fantasy world. I've got golden dragons and spectral whales, nomadic tribes of orcs contained to the mountain passes and more...but Esshmyr needs a bit more flesh to it.

Do you guys have any ideas? Any suggestions? I would go more in depth, but it's seven in the morning at the moment and I have to catch my first shift. If you have any questions about the world go ahead and ask away and I'll get to them soon as possible.

2. making tracks

making tracks Active Member

I don't know much about desert fantasy creatures I'm afraid, but real desert animals are things like snakes, scorpions, desert foxes, desert cats, lizards, tortoises, some types of goat.... so if there are fantasy equivalents of these you could use them? Sorry not to be more specific!

3. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Big Horn Sheep are native to California deserts and are really interesting animals, both aesthetically and in habits. I think morphing those into fantasy creatures would be interesting.

Also, wild horses are a possibility.