1. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

major drop in 'traffic'?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by mammamaia, Feb 14, 2008.

i monitor the site daily, every morning, and in the last week or so, have found so few new posts, that i can zip through it in minutes, when it used to take an hour or two... i fear it's the result of all the maddening glitches we've had to deal with lately and hope it's not a death knell...

love and anxious hugs, maia

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I noticed the same thing maia and we have to expect a major drop in traffic when there are problems such at these.

Though the forum seems to be super quick today.

I am sure if we just give it time and the problem is resolved the traffic will pick up again. Just give it time.

Hugs
    Torana

3. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

I'd blame the server issues - I certainly can't access the site 80% of the time.

4. Milady

Milady Active Member

Hmm... I hope this doesn't continue. If it does, we'll have to go out and spread those shameless plugs!!!:cool:

But no, really. Hopefully, if the server issues lessen, this'll blow over.

5. Raven

Raven Banned

Yes it is the server and Daniel is on the case.

If the problems haven't changed in 3 days we will most likely be moving servers. Now that proberly means the site will be down for 24 hours or less.

~Raven.

6. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Well I've noticed it is much easier to get on and get the pages to load. Faster that is. Sometimes they don't load completely but it has improved....I normally hve to refresh for half hour to get on here.....

7. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

In addition to the slow loading and various problems, we have seen a drop in traffic. Ever since we've changed servers we've only had problems, even though changing servers were supposed to improve things.

Please continue to give feedback on issues you're facing - that will hopefully help diagnose the issue, though we've likely moved passed that point.

I've decided to change hosts. We'll be moving from our current server to a new VPServer on a different host. This is a better hosting plan, so in addition to changing servers we'll have better hardware which will hopefully help improve things as well.

I'm not sure when the server move will take place. Saturday evening (for me) will probably be when, though I may decide to do so tomorrow if things increase.

You can anticipate the change of servers tomorrow evening (about 9:00 PM Central Standard Time). The site can be down up to 24 hours, though in most cases it's only down for a few minutes.

8. Daniel

In addition to the slow loading and various problems, we have seen a drop in traffic. Ever since we've changed servers we've only had problems, even though changing servers were supposed to improve things.

Please continue to give feedback on issues you're facing - that will hopefully help diagnose the issue, though we've likely moved passed that point.

I've decided to change hosts. We'll be moving from our current server to a new VPServer on a different host. This is a better hosting plan, so in addition to changing servers we'll have better hardware which will hopefully help improve things as well.

I'm not sure when the server move will take place. Saturday evening (for me) is possible, though I probably will decide to do so tomorrow if things continue. So it will happen in about 26 hours.

You can anticipate the change of servers tomorrow evening (about 9:00 PM Central Standard Time). The site can be down up to 24 hours, though in most cases it's only down for a few minutes.

9. Bluemouth

Good news, Dan.

And I loved the irony of your double post. :p

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

May I also suggest - when you report slow response/inaccessibility, include the approximate local time and time zone. That way we'll have a better idea of whether there is a pattern to the problems.

11. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Good idea- I'm happy that I can get on here today! yay! I hope things work out soon, and with the lack of traffick, well, lets hope they really are into supporting the site and come back.

12. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I would say the drop in traffic is hampered by loading problems. I previously had about eight or nine posts per day on average but for the last two weeks its such a hastle to get onto the site I go off and play a game or watch TV rather than wait fifteen minutes for a page to load. This is especially bad in the morning, and the day.

13. lessa

lessa New Member

at 5:30 am EST it just took me 5 min. to get here to post this.
    glad you are doing something about it Daniel.

14. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

I hope things improve. With no electricity for 4 hours a day, no internet for 8 hours a day and a crazy computer for most of the day, it's a real hassle to get here. But it's worth it anyway :p Best wishes with everything, Daniel. It's great to have such a good admin.

15. Raven

Raven Banned

Things will soon be sorted. But don't worry if you can't get on for 24 hours it just means Daniel is moving servers. ;)

~Raven.
    Senior Super Moderator

16. mammamaia

kudos to our admin/mods for being so 'on the job' for us all the time!... thanks to them, despite all the site host-caused glitches, we still have the best, most member-friendly site on the net... with fingers crossed.......

love and extra hugs to all, maia

17. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

I know I haven't been coming here nearly as much because of the problems. I am glad y'all're switching servers.

18. Daniel

I'm getting ready for the server change. I'll be starting it in 3-4 hours.

19. Daniel

It looks like it may now be another 1-2 days before we are able to move the server (because the server's new some things need to be configured).

20. Bluemouth

What company is the current server? (for personal future reference)

21. Raven

Raven Banned

Not sure. You'd have to ask Daniel.

22. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

it's cos I wasn't here :p Sorry, couldn't resist. It seems fine now mind, although there has been a major decline in the reviews in the poetry section for a start, some have gone completly unreviewed so can I suggest to people that we make sure we keep reviewing. :) Thanks
    Heather

23. mammamaia

far from fine, i'm afraid, despite your return, heather... ;)...

yesterday i found only a small handful of new posts, most sections having had no new ones since the day before [or for days/weeks! :( ]... i'm just hoping things will pick up after the host switch and those not bothering to post during our troubles will come back...

24. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Aye, it has been a little slower than normal I know. Iy just takes a little while to get back into the swing of things. Memebers how normally contribute a lot have been on and off a bit recently for whatever reasons and with the server change it has thrown some people off but it'll get there. :)

25. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

The server problems seem to be occuring less now, though that could be due to the lack of traffic at the moment...