Tags:
  1. ITBA01

ITBA01 Active Member

Boarding schools history

Discussion in 'Research' started by ITBA01, Feb 26, 2018.

The series I'm working on takes place in the mid 30s, and book one has the main character (who's fourteen by the way) at a boarding school. I've tried researching what boarding schools were like back during that time, but I can't find a lot of information (except for Native American boarding schools, which isn't what I'm looking for). I have a good enough idea of how they were, but I wanted my main character to be able to sneak off the grounds at night in order to meet up with someone. I know it doesn't sound realistic, but would there be any way to do it without getting caught? The story takes place in an alternate Earth, so it doesn't have to be entirely accurate, but I just wanted to get a general idea of how things where. If anyone knows where to look for information on this subject, it would be appreciated.

2. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

If the character is a girl, google Miss Porter's School for Girls. It's legendary and where Jackie Kennedy (then Bouvier) went, and Joan Crawford's daughter Christina. It's now called a different variation of that, but it was always known as Miss Porter's. (ETA: I think there was a book about Miss Porter's. Check Amazon. Christina Crawford also talks about it in the book Mommie Dearest, although the name of the school may have been changed. It's been a while since I read it.)

ETA: For boys, it would be Choate. Those are both in the US. One of our fine Brits could better advise you on the ones there. Eaton comes to mind, but I leave it to them.

Another one for boys in the US would be Andover. I think the elite schools on the West Coast during that time, Harvard School for Boys and Westlake School for Girls, were day schools only but I'm not completely sure. (They've now merged into one school with two different campuses.)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018