1. Ellsbeth

Ellsbeth New Member

Book exchange!

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Ellsbeth, May 21, 2013.

Hi guys! Just putting this idea out there, is it possible to have a section allowing people to exchange books? If someone has read a truly inspirational piece of work they have read they could post it in this section and someone else may be able to exchange it with something else. I think this would be helpful for people who have trouble locating certain copies of books, or who cant afford to buy them.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Are you talking about mailing books to each other?

3. Ellsbeth

Ellsbeth New Member

yeah pretty much, have it set up so people who want to participate can contact one another privately as opposed to posting their address on the thread or have someone who will accept the books and pass them on For a small fee. There could even be a way to create some cash flow to support the site.

4. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

The biggest problem I see, especially since we have members all over the world, is that the cost of mailing the books would be almost as much, and sometimes more expensive, than just buying the book. Most of the books that are mentioned are not particularly expensive, even new, but can sometimes be found for even less money used. (At used bookstores or amazon or ebay.)

5. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I don't think this is a bad idea, but the cost issue is a big issue. Another idea might be simply buying a book for some other member, maybe in a thread exchange where someone buys a book they'd recommend to someone, sends it, and that person does the same to the next member, etc.

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Media mail from one US site to another is cheap (2 pound package across country is ~$3; most books weigh less). Anything international is not reasonable.

I have access to a great library, myself, but for those that don't ...

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I think it's probably worth experimenting with. If people are generous enough to not quibble over a dollar or two here or there in postage, it could work.