1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Who?

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. echo_wolf

echo_wolf New Member

Aldous Huxley- Prophet?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by echo_wolf, Sep 11, 2009.

I think that Aldous Huxley has to be one of the best writers of the 20th century. I first heard about him through The Doors. I am a huge fan and when I heard that they got their name from his essay "The Doors of Perseption" I knew that it had to be good. After I read Brave New World I was obsessed. So what do we think about his works and what is your favorite?

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I have only read Brave New World. I haven't heard much about any of his other novels mainly because everyone I know claims that BNW dwarfs his other works. Judging solely from that one novel, I would say that he is a good writer.

I also hear that he's a great essay writer.

3. echo_wolf

echo_wolf New Member

Oh yes he is!! I cant wait to get my hands on BNW Revisited. Its supposed to be better. Well, maybe not better but I think it will still be cool.

4. alice

alice New Member

Having a penchant for dystopian literature, I really enjoyed Brave New World. A really interesting premise, and on the whole very well written. I haven't actually read anything else of Huxley's, though i keep meaning to.

5. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

I will never forgive him for Brave New World. (Yes, I know it's well written) Some books click with you. Some books don't. Some books are the anti-click.

6. Modern Day Zombie

Modern Day Zombie New Member

The edition I bought had both books. Brave New World Revisited is one of the best collections of essays I've have ever had the good fortune to read. It's more or less explaining stripping down Brave New World to it's very core ideas, and it adds tremendously to understanding Brave New World. I think more authors should do that type of thing. I think it was Kurt Vonnegut, in Breakfast of Champions who said that people would appreciate high art more if every once in a while the artist cared to explain his art.

A common argument I've seen is which is better between 1984 and Brave New World, and I've always sided with Brave New World. I remember reading 1984 and freaking out and shouting it's praise - then I picked up Brave New World and I more or less never mentioned 1984 again. It pales in comparison really. Both are great novels don't get me wrong. It's just when examined Brave New World is a much more realistic of a book and a scenario that is much more likely to happen. More elements of modern society are apparent in it than in 1984 - trust me - especially being a teenager, I see far too many people daily who seem like they just walk off the pages of Brave New World - dumb, preoccupied and careless. A functioning police state needs no police, remember that.