1. sophie86

sophie86 Banned

Polish writers

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by sophie86, Aug 28, 2009.

I was wondering if you know any writer or poet from Poland and read any book of them? And if you read, did you like it?

2. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I only know Adam Mickiewicz who I learnt a little about after a recent visit to Poznan. Nothing more, sorry. Please enlighten us.

3. sophie86

sophie86 Banned

Adam Mickiewicz is considered to be the greatest Polish Romantic poet and one of Three Bards. But since the times of romanticism we had many other writers who were no less important for the history of our literature. We have four writers who got The Nobel Prize.

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I have heard of Reymont but have never read him. I also read a little bit of Milosz in school, but that was only a few poems. I'll take a look at the other writers you mentioned.

5. sophie86

sophie86 Banned

If you are interested in any specific kind of writing or gender I can recommend you other certain authors :)

6. thirdwind

Sure, I'd love some recommendations. I'm thinking of getting a complete collection of poems by Milosz. I tried searching for Reymont's The Peasants, but it looks like the English translations are out of print. The only ones that are available are pretty expensive. I'm just going to have to keep looking around for places that have it.

Also, can you recommend some other poets? I was reading some Polish poetry online yesterday. I read some poems by Milosz and Szymborska, and I really liked both of their poems.

7. sophie86

sophie86 Banned

0 the is a film based on the book with the same title and I think you can find it with English subtitles

Sure.

Rafał Wojaczek - a Polish poet of the postwar generation. He overdosed some medicine (e.g. valium) and died in 1971 (he commited a suicide). The main themes of his poems were death, love, fascination of women and body. He was very often connecting erotic and sexuality with dying. In most of his works he wrote about pain, his suffering and alienation. The language of his poems is usually vulgar but at the same time you can find a lot of lyricism and the thirst for affection. His poems are pretty popular in Poland.

But the poets I love reading are Tadeusz Nowak and Jerzy Harasymowicz (had a special affection for the Bieszczady Mountains). But there are not many translations as far as I know.

8. thirdwind

Thanks, I'll check them out.

9. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

You reminded me of The Witcher series (or Wiedźmin in Polish) by Andrzej Sapkowski. The series are very acclaimed in Poland, and they're being translated into English. Haven't read them though, I'll have to check 'em out.

10. sophie86

sophie86 Banned

This title is well-known in Poland, you're right. However, I haven't read it. I am not into this kind of literature. There is also a movie based on the series but I don't think people liked it a lot. But there is one fantasy book I just love. The series tells the story of an old Polish villager who is an exorcist and he is famous for producing illegal alcohol. He has many funny adventures with vampires, Satan believers, police, and a group of his folks - and they all are among 70-90 years old. :) The series is written by Andrzej Pilipiuk, it is pretty recognizable here and has a lot of fans. Unfortunately, there is no English translation yet, but it is new series so you just have to be patient.

11. Eddyz Aquila

Eddyz Aquila New Member

I absolutely loved Henryk Sinkiewicz' Teutonic Knights. Brilliant. :)

12. sophie86

sophie86 Banned

I read it but ( don't really remember the style of Teutonic Knights now, as I read it about 10 years ago at school but it is a kind of patriotic book. When Sienkiwicz lived we got a really bad political situation in Poland so this kind of writing, showing Polish pride and victories, was very popular. Literature was the thing that helped people to believe we can still do something as we did before.

13. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Mark Z. Danielskwi wrote the brilliant House of Leaves.
    Trust me, it is mindblowing.

14. Green Tea

Green Tea Banned

Andrzej Stasiuk

His novel 'Tales of Galicia' (actually a collection of interweaving short stories) is quite good. It is available in English translation.

15. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Wasn't Conrad Polish?

16. Green Tea

Green Tea Banned

Yes, he was. However, he became a British citizen and wrote all of his novels in English.

His real name was Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski.

17. Kas

Kas New Member

Yeah, I've been waiting for the English translation for a while. The Witcher game world was fantastic--reminded me of George Martin's take on fantasy. I just hope the translation does justice to the original.

18. RiftwarFan

RiftwarFan New Member

Andrzej Sapkowski is my favourite Polish writer. His "The Last Wish", "Blood of Elves" and "Narrenturm" are absolutely amazing!

Best regards, RiftwarFan

19. sophie86

sophie86 Banned

Shame on me but I dont know Sapkowski's writing. I am just not into this kind of prose...