1. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

Book recommendation

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by montecarlo, Oct 19, 2021.

Just finished Where the Crawdads Sing. I’m looking for a recommendation for my next book. Ideally commercial fiction, sci-fi, or fantasy that was very popular by a previously unheralded author. Any recommendations would be amazing!

Thanks in advance!

2. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I recommend . . .

"Stories of Your Life and Others" by Ted Chiang. (sci-fi)
    "This is How You Lose Her" by Junot Diaz. (commercial)
    "Vampires in the Lemon Grove" by Karen Russel. (fantasy)

I consider these three to be stylistically perfect. They don't leave even a single phrase out of place. Seamlessly flawless writing. I give each of these 5 stars, and I don't give many of those. The stories themselves are inspired too.

These are all short story collections, though the Diaz one's stories are all related. It'll feel a bit like "Olive Kitteridge." I actually think it's a better book, and I did like Olive K.

montecarlo likes this.
  3. Luis Thompson

Luis Thompson Banned

"Stories of Your Life and Others" by Ted Chiang This is absolutely required reading, I agree with you.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  4. Malachi Sanders

Malachi Sanders Banned

I would probably recommend turning your attention to Little Fires Everywhere and The Nightingale. Have you read these books?