1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Book sniffing

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by OurJud, Feb 28, 2017.

I know I'm not alone in this, and while I like the smell of a new book, my real kick comes from sticking my nose between the pages of old ones. And that kick stems entirely from the memories they evoke.

I have a vague recolection I've posted about this before, although I can't be sure it was here, but old books will remind me of one of two things; and those memories are so vivid I never tire of doing it.

Old books will remind me of either the Enid Blyton collections I used to read myself to sleep with as a kid, and if not that, the art cupboard at my infant school, which had a very distinct smell of plasticine, crayons and chalk.

I'd be interested to hear if this is what others get from smelling books, or is it simply a pleasant scent that you just happen to like?

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

3. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I've just read a few articles on the subject myself, which all seem to be linking the habit to chemical reactions. I eventually found one on Barnes & Noble, though, which confirms I'm not the only one for who the evoking of memories is the prime reason for taking a whiff of that tatty old paperback.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/ask-a-literary-lady-why-do-people-smell-books/

4. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

I hate the smell of old books.
    They smell of grandmothers, cabbage, and death.

5. Lukey

Lukey New Member

The smell is the primary reason I visit used book stores as opposed to searching out books online.