1. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Books for 7th grade non native readers

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by BFGuru, Jul 27, 2012.

I'm doing a book drive for my friend who teaches English in Japan. She works with 7th graders so although they have a decent start on a grasp of the English language they are not up to reading books for the average 7th grader. Except one. A new student that was raised in America and has read everything from Lord of the Rings to The Hunger Games. I will probably include some classics for her.

I need recommendations for titles as those who want to participate are drawing a blank. The subject matter has to make them want to read, but the writing must be simple enough for them to understand the basic gist while expanding their vocabulary. I'm leaning towards early readers for simplicity factors, but I'm also torn since they may bore the students as well.

Help me out her with some suggestions please. :)

2. lost123

lost123 New Member

When I came to the united states four years ago, I didn't speak any English.My first English book to read was Harry Potter-that book made me love reading. I used lexile.com, the website helped me choosing books my level of reading. You put the lexile number, genre, and then books will appear. This website is really helpful.

Here is a list of books:

Amelia Earhart
    by: Parlin, John

Earthquakes
    by: Dussling, Jennifer

Breaking Point
    by: Choyce, Lesley

Knifepoint
    by: Van Tol, Alex

Raft, The
    by: Bodeen, S. A.

Meriwether Lewis( you could get that book for one cent at barnes and noble)
    by: Bebenroth, Charlotta M.

3. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

These are good books to start with. Thanks!

4. Quinn T. Senchel

Quinn T. Senchel New Member

I'd suggest The Hobbit but I don't know if that would be too complicated a read.
    Anne of Green Gables and Little House on the Prairie taught my Japanese friends English.
    Anything by Roald Dahl, The Witches, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Big Friendly Giant, Matilda, James and the Giant Peach.
    I remember My Sister's Keeper being an easy read, and I managed to get through One Thousand and One Nights in French.
    Chronicles of Narnia, Polar Express, Charlotte's Webb, the Book Thief, the Golden Compass maybe.
    Goosebumps or Animorphs?

5. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

These would be great for the two students she has that lived in America, but after talking with her, we are more of a Giving Tree, and Dr. Seusse level. Their English teachers were not teaching them to be prepared for 7th grade English when she got there, but apparently the program is changing. She's doing a lot of back tracking to get them caught up.

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

If you're essentially looking for picture books that have enough interest for people older than the usual preschool picture-book age, my first thought is Maurice Sendak's picture books - Where the Wild Things Are, In the Night Kitchen, Outside Over There, and so on. In fact, those three are considered frankly disturbing by some, so they might provide something to chew over. And a quote says that Sendak has said that he "didn't write for children, but simply wrote."

7. Quinn T. Senchel

Ok. Then the books I suggested are definitively too advanced. Where the Wild Things Are and other works by Maurice Sendak are the best place to look. And as you said, works by Dr. Seuss too. The Stinky Cheese Man: And Other Fairly Stupid Tales, The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish, The Lorex, The Composer is Dead, The Kid Who Kicked Ass. You could also look for fairy tale picture books or popup books such as Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Hansel and Gretel, ect. And I know there's a Legend of Sleepy Hollow and the Headless Horseman graphic novel out there too.

8. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Maybe not pop ups, as we are trying to avoid illustrations as much as possible...which isn't going to happen at this level LOL. Just a request from the principal. HOWEVER, when you are getting free stuff...you don't get room to bargain much. :D

9. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Why would the principal want to avoid illustrations? I'd think that illustrations in this case would serve the same purpose that they serve for children's books - to add depth and interest to content that has to be communicated with a limited set of words. Illustrations aren't just about children, they're about adding that extra content. Would he, for example, also insist that if movies are shown for language immersion, they be shown with the screen turned off and only the sound track used?

Grumble grumble.

Edited to clarify: I'm not grumbling at you, but at the principal.

10. Quinn T. Senchel

Yeah. I agree with ChickenFreak. When I began reading in French I found that pictures added to my understanding of what was happening. Silly principal.