Tags:
  1. Scuba

Scuba New Member

Book Request

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Scuba, May 16, 2009.

As the title says, I'm looking to start a list so I can start reading books more often.

Series I have read and enjoyed thoroughly

Harry Potter (who hasn't at least peeked into one book? I swear. While I'm not IN LOVE with the series like Eragon and His Dark Works, it's still good)
    Eragon series (Depressed yet happy there's 4.)
    His Dark Works (Phillip Pullman, Golden Compass ETC.)
    Bartimaeus (read the 1st + 2nd, procrastinating on the 3rd)
    Tales of the Otori, Across The Nightingale floor by Lian Hearn

Well in any case, here's a few i'm already planning on reading.

A tale of Fire and Ice
    Dante's Inferno
    To Kill A Mockingbird
    Shakesphear (have all of his plays in a book, and I enjoyed a couple of them)
    The Stand by Stephen King
    The Left Behind Series (Read one)

would anyone be willing to give me more titles, along with their base genre?

2. JGraham

JGraham New Member

Read:

Science Fiction:

State Of Fear By Michael Crichton
    Jurassic Park By Michael Crichton
    Prey By Michael Crichton

Historical Fiction
    The Pillars of the Earth By Ken Follett

Thriller
    Fight Club By Chuck Palahinuk

I love all of these books and they are all very entertaining.

3. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

How about, instead of creating a reading list, go to the library and randomly pull some books ofthe shelve. I found some of my favourite books that way.

4. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

There's my new favorite site, Goodreads, where you can add books to your "To Read" list, and post reviews of books you've read. Before adding a book, you can read summaries and peer reviews of it.

Seriously, since I've been on that site, I've been reading like a maniac.

Some things that I've read lately that I've enjoyed:

Geek Love by Katherine Dunn (not sure of the genre, but it's about carnival freaks)
    House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski (horror/sci-fi)
    Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore (comedy)

5. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Tomorrow, When the War Began - John Marsden (It's a series--something like 7 books total)

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

6. bumboclaatjones

bumboclaatjones New Member

History
    Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (my favorite book)
    Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire
    Hitler Goes East: Operation Barbarossa 1941-1944
    NAM (cannot remember what journalist wrote it. It's a massive collection of accounts of the war from something like 100 different people. Great book)
    I really wish I could remember some of the other kickass history books that I've read. There's been an awful lot of them.

Historical fiction

Aztec (cannot for the life of me remember the author. Great book about pre-Columian Meso-America, though)
    River God (All of Wilbur Smith's books about Ancient Egypt are good, but the first is best)
    North And South Trilogy (John Jakes, fantastic story about the 1800's in America)
    The Asian series (James Clavell, the books are Shogun, Gai-Jin, King Rat, and Whirlwind, although I might be leaving one out. Can never remember if King Rat is part of it or not.)

Fantasy
    The Dark Tower series (Stephen King, best damn thing I ever read)
    The Royal Assassin trilogy (Robin Hobb, I know I hate most fantasy but god I love those books)
    Preacher (Garth Ennis. I know it's a comic book, but dammit, it's great)

General Fiction
    Repairman Jack (F. Paul Wilson. These books are like watching really good action movies, with a weird x-files-y vibe. I can read these books when I am totally piss drunk and follow them just fine.)

China Gate (once again, no clue who wrote it, but it's about Taiwan after the fall of the mainland. Love it)

Does anyone else here read historical fiction that isn't Pillars of the Earth? I love Ken Follett and wound up reading that particular book twice, but I'd love something new and interesting. Just as a heads up, though, I don't think Song of Ice and Fire is finished yet, and if it is book four is just going to piss you the hell off (why the hell did we just skip 2 or 3 years? seriously, what the **** is with that bull****?)

7. hawkedup

hawkedup New Member

Fantasy:

The View Through the Mirror - Ian Irvine (wonderful fantasy series, I wish I could get his newer books here in the States)
    The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien (this is a must read for all)
    The Winds of the Forelands - David B. Coe (very solid series)
    Discworld - Terry Pratchett (possibly my favorite author ever--MUST READ)

I was going to do other genres, but I'll just end with Pratchett. Discworld may take four or five books to really get good (the first books are still decent, too) but man, once it hits its stride, it will be your favorite thing in the world.

8. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

If you plan on reading Dante, reading some early and middle age theology, as well as some of the classics well certainly help you enjoy the experience more. In particular, Boethius' Consolation of Philosophy is an excellent read. Also, Virgil's Aeneid is a must, not just for Dante but in general. Plato's Republic also.

Also for Dante don't just limit yourself to the Inferno. The whole of the Comedy is my favourite piece of writing. Dante's other works are also very much worth reading.

9. arron89

arron89 Banned

Once you read Dante, read Hemingway. Once you're read Hemingway, read Salinger. Once you've read Salinger, read Bret Easton Ellis.