Books on Writing.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Eli, Jan 26, 2009.

1. arron89

arron89 Banned

No, not if you're willing to put in the effort of reading them. They're the kind of books where the more you invest in them, the greater the reward. Unfortunately, it seems most people these days cacn't be bothered with anything that requires any amount of effort on their part. But if you want to learn to write well, seriously well, that list is an admirable start.

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

My concern isn't so much about how difficult they are to read, and I'm not suggesting dumbed-down-to-sixth-grade-level stuff. I'm not suggesting _not_ reading your list, I guess I'm just suggesting maintaining a reasonable level of contact with the writing of the last few decades.

ChickenFreak

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

It occurs to me that the books that have probably had the greatest influence on my writing, and preferences in writing, and especially my writing of dialog, are Rumer Godden's children's books. (_The Doll's House_, _Home Is The Sailor_, _Little Plum_, _Miss Happiness And Miss Flower_, and (not a children's book, I think) _An Episode of Sparrows_.) Is this deeply weird?

Struggling mightily to restrain myself from typing in a sample of dialog,

ChickenFreak

4. Aeschylus

Aeschylus Member

How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy by Orson Scott Card was very helpful. It applies to fiction in general, not just the two genres the titles advertise.