1. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Books that explain POV in depth

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Xoic, Apr 17, 2021.

I'm looking for good books that really get into the nitty gritty about POV, including omniscient and objective. They don't need to be only or specifically about POV, but should include a good lengthy section dealing with it (preferably several).

So far all I can find on Amazon are a few recently-written books that look self-published and seem to be by people who barely know how to write. I just bought one in fact that's shockingly poorly written, doesn't seem to have had an editor, and the section about omniscient never once mentioned that the POV can and must move inside several different characters' heads and then pull back out into God's-eye view again. There is no section on objective/cinematic POV at all. In fact what the author is calling omniscient is actually objective. She doesn't seem to know this. I can't believe I just spent money on this garbage... I did a few day's worth of research into POV some moths ago, and I know more about it than this author does!! :supermad:

I'm hoping to find something from probably decades ago, before the glut of self-publishing resulting in books like poorly-researched blog posts written by beginners. They may be experienced in self-publishing, but that means very little in terms of real knowledge gained in the publishing world where you have to know your stuff.

I suspect the books I'm looking for don't have POV in the title, so it's hard to find them by searching on Amazon. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Can't go wrong with Self Editing for Fiction Writers. Got a bit of everything, including a section on POV. Not super long, but dipshit simple.

Xoic likes this.
  3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Cool, I've got that one, I haven't hit the section on POV yet. Apparently Stein on Writing also covers it in Chapter 18. I haven't reached that chapter yet, and I just ordered his companion book How to Grow a Novel, which goes into advanced POV. He's an experienced author and editor who worked in trad publishing for 25 years and edited many great authors—he definitely knows his stuff.

Lol, I have several books in progress right now, each with bookmarks slowly wading deeper in. This is one of those periods when I acquire and begin assimilating mass quantities of craft books. I love these periods!

I'd still appreciate other suggestions if anybody has any.