boy vs. girl voice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by funkybassmannick, May 4, 2011.

1. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

I tend to assume the opposite: female avatar = male user and vice versa.

2. Leatherworth Featherfist

Leatherworth Featherfist New Member

The only time I question the gender of someone on this site is if they write something that I find amaizing. It's an inate reaction that I have no control over and, if I'm honest, I can't help it. If a person has a wonderfull way of writing and he's male, I will react by wanting to pick his brain and befriend him. If a person has a wonderful way of writing and she's a female, not only will I want to pick her brain, I will experience attraction toward her. I can't help it. Somtimes I will read something by a male and I will think a female wrote it. I'm not sure what makes me think this way. Maybe it's a deep seeded urge to find a woman that I can relate with. I don't mean to sound strange when I write this, I'm just interested in psychology. I like to study how my own mind works and why.

To answer you're question, I do find myself wondering if a man or a woman wrote a particular peice of writing. On the surface, I think I'm just curious. Deep down, I think I'm satisfying instinctual urges. Like I said, I don't view my reaction as strange, I think it's natural. I think we all wonder about what sex we are communicating with; it's part of life. I believe this pertains to everyone; whether you are into men or women. Maybe I'm digging to deep, but it's hard for me not to with a question like this.

3. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

^Haha, Lavarian -- you're so bad ;)

Uh, well, when it comes to voice, no. But say when it comes to a member's avatar, yes. I can easily get a guy confused with a girl if he has an avatar of a girl or vice versa. It's just hard for my brain to put two-and-two together or look at the pink or blue symbols:rolleyes:

4. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    You're all just binary code to me. Ones and Zeros lack gender :p

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Wouldn't be hard to assign a gender merely by examining the shapes of the respective numerals.

6. Arathald

Arathald New Member

1's are clearly male, 0's female.

I'll refrain from elaborating further.

1 person likes this.
  7. Simplistic

Simplistic New Member

Everyones a guy. No women on the internets

just kidding

I mainly think everyone is a guy unless I know otherwise, but when I do find out i think it is awkward for a little while

8. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    I thought of that after I hit the "Post" button :p

9. Shade Wolf

Shade Wolf New Member

I almost always think the person whos post I am looking at is female. It's a habit. LOL

10. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

You should try playing the gender guess game on Omeagle. I suppose everyone on their assumes male most of the time because I'm always pigeon holed as Male. However whenever I get talking to someone who says they are female I instantly think they are very masculine in real life. I don't know I suppose that's the weird steriotypes of internet gender. Perhaps internet gender is differnet to actual gender? More true?

Anyways as for writing: Check out this analysis machine. I've seen a couple like it one the internet, but this one was easier to find on google.http://http://www.hackerfactor.com/GenderGuesser.php

For prose I get weak male/male. For essay work I get an astounding male/male and for journal enteries I get weak female/female. Interesting; I know I adopt a more direct approach when writing for a reason (rather than just blethering) but perhaps I am trying to adhere to steriotypes of what I think a writer should be rather than using my own voice? Unfortunately with academic work, you're taught how to write, so I can't change that without loosing marks!

11. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

12. Velox

Velox Member

Yeah that's happened a few times to me. Especially on some other sites where there's also the option to have no gender [so it's a clear symbol, instead of blue/pink], so you don't know for sure if they're fe/male.