1. psyence53

psyence53 New Member

Unable To Define A Genre...

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by psyence53, Oct 4, 2009.

I'll try to keep it short for once - I unofficially "gave up" on writing a few months back, but I keep thinking about it, and sometimes pop back here for a nose around, but feeling unworthy. I just can't seem to stop thinking about it. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and that combined with never liking my ideas for being so mediocre and cliche.. doesn't help.

NOW.. well recently, I've had increasingly pressing thoughts of something broader. On the far end is Isaac Asimov sort of stuff, but i'm not technically minded.. and that is simply Sci-Fi, and I can just read all that sort of thing before even thinking about that one... What i'm thinking of now, I cannot define.

I haven't done any research yet, it's just been pressing on my mind. Sort of... conspiracy/political/space exploration/future of mankind sort of things... It's so vague I can't pinpoint anything as such, but wondered if anyone could help me on this. i know it's not much to go by, but if anyone else writes anything along these lines/knows any good books.

There's certain NON-fiction books on my list, and there's a book on ancient secret organisations in the library that catches my eye.. i'm just fascinated by certain histories, and possible futures, and want to write something thought-provoking that ISN'T just two people in a relationship.

My only sci-fi idea is still along those lame lines, about the line between human and artificial intelligence, racism, discrimination and what's right and wrong in combining human and machine, and social sides of human/machine relationships.. again Asimov... but ... it's not good enough for me.

I might add the most stimulating music for me is Muse (SUBJECT MATTER of relevance) and most stimulating film is 2001: A Space Odyssey... but also end-of-the-world things... and artificial intelligence of course.

I know that's a bit long with not enough info, but if anyone can help or direct me somewhere, much appreciated.

Thank you.

2. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

I'm not sure if I can believe that for one your going to experience emotion unless you're a robot and you must have some family friends, past friends, acquaintances to feel the relationship experience.

I know movies and video games that deal with that if that will help you any. There's the Star Wars saga and Mass Effect. Actually I think both of those have been made into books.

3. psyence53

psyence53 New Member

I have more than a fair share of emotions yes, it was the relationship part I meant, so that puts me off. But... if I only write what I know, I may as well just write a psychological/philosophical/angry blog! I want to break out of this restriction somehow.

Movies are just as helpful, yes. I've not heard of Mass Effect, thank you for that, I will look into it. That's an interesting concept but still not quite what i'm looking for... Open to anything at this point though >.< Star Wars is a little far-fetched for my ways of thinking, though it might be an idea to look into the politics and that side of it.

Thank you for your reply.

4. WMMorgan

WMMorgan New Member

new genre

If conspiracy/political/space exploration/future is on your mind, I would just write the thing, hone your skills as you go and leave the genre classification to the pundits and scholars when you achieve a wide readership or ranks of follower-writers.

On the other hand, I suppose it is possible to declare a new genre before you've even set a word to paper, and then just keep hammering out your message while you wait for your desciples to gather. But that's a career-path I can't readily recommend.

5. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Genres always spill over into each other. It's only marketing people and crazy academics that want to put them in neat little packages. Don't worry about genre while you're writing it. Should you decide to publish it, use the terms that the publishers use. Besides, the label "science fiction" says nothing about story elements. It only says that there is something science/technology related about the plot or setting, whatever that plot or setting may be.

6. architectus

architectus Banned

Bicentennial Man with Robin Williams.
    Dune, especially, God Emperor of Dune
    Many Star Wars books are good for politics and sociology.

Anime is great for this sort of thing
    Xenosaga the Anime based on the video game.
    Parasite Dolls
    Aquarion
    Ghost in the Shell

7. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

I know how you feel. I've been at the same place as you, with my current project, which has been one long up-hill-battle of a learning experience to write, and I'm not done yet... When you start out with the ambition to make something unique and genre-breaking, there's no easy way about it. You're gonna hit your head against walls over and over before you find a spot where you can break through it.

Developing vague feelings of ideas into a concrete story, while desperately trying to avoid anything that resembles a stereotyped idea, is a time-consuming endeavour. The only way I think it is possible, is by going over your idea/story again and again and again, refining it, pressing it further away from what others have done, until you reach the limit of your imagination or just feel satisfied.

It's a long and lonely desert walk, so you're just gonna have to brace yourself and take it a step at a time. Nobody can take you there, since only you know the destination you're seeking.

8. psyence53

psyence53 New Member

Thank you all for your replies. It's not so much that I am trying to write the genre, it's more a matter of existance and research. If I knew what sort of thing I was thinking of, I could delve into it and read examples. With sci-fi, I can easily find examples to read, but it's not EXACTLY sci-fi I'm thinking of.

Another example I could think of is A Clockwork Orange. But that's not REALLY sci-fi in my opinion.

I do like the idea of just writing. Even more do i like the idea of writing something that is not part of an existing genre! But I find it hard enough to write as is, nevermind not having a clue what where how why when etc etc...

In fact, A Clockwork Orange is a fine example. Based on film alone so far. No matter what, no matter how hard I try, I am more character-driven in tendencies. I would like to write something complex and global, but would probably lean towards a character's story, like that of Alex, but less on emotional relationships and more on the social, the psychological, and the people vs. government relationships...

Maybe?

Bicentennial Man is a good example. I'd like to read the book, having seen the film several times, and finding it so charming, but more light and comedic, opposite of what I'd go for.

Anime! Of course! I don't have time to watch them, but could research them. I have heard of some really good psychological and science-fiction sci-fi, I can't believe I didn't think of that before. Thank you for that suggestion!

I'm not trying to avoid ALL stereotypes, that's almost impossible! Just trying to eliminate those I begrudgingly tend to lean towards. I know it will be a long journey, but it doesn't help not knowing where to take the first steps!

Thanks again for your words and suggestions. I'm still giving myself a headache over this, but I will look into the given examples for now.

9. psyence53

psyence53 New Member

Forget all this. I'll never write anything. It just wastes time pretending I could.

10. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss New Member

I think popping back here isn't always the best way to get on with your writing, unless you're willing to consider writing posts as something that's helpful to you (and I think that's a perfectly valid use of a forum). As to your "unworthiness," I suspect everyone shares that in one way or another (even published authors suffer from the occasional confidence crisis). Having an idea, cliched or otherwise, isn't the only way to begin. I write first, and ideas occur to me as I engage in the process (maybe you could try that approach).

So, think of your writing as an artform and don't worry about defining it. Your job, after all, is to write it. Marketing it and selling it will come later. That's what agents and publishers do.

My suggestion would be just to begin and see where it leads you. Maybe you can unlock a story from within the heart of those interests. And, by all means, read everything you can find that interests you (of whatever genre) and certainly anything you find captivating. The particular interests you have are certain to be shared by many readers and probably a writer or two, as well.

Nowhere is it carved in stone that you have to first find a book that reflects your precise way of imagining things. In fact, you better hope that you don't. Still, you're likely to find some things that are of interest if you nose around in the library for topics that intrigue and appeal.

11. thecommabandit

thecommabandit New Member

Then you've already failed. If you don't try, you'll never succeed. For god's sake man, just try and write something. If it sucks, so be it! Try again. Everything takes practice.