1. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Novel Brain for writing

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by 123456789, Apr 26, 2016.

You know how you suddenly have an idea for a novel, and you're so inspired you're able to write for extended period of time or at gours you'd normally be asleep?

Does anyone have any tricks to get their brain alert enough so they can do the above on a regular basis, even without inspiration?

zoupskim likes this.
  2. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Senior Member

I've found that if I persist at writing scenes even when I'm not really feeling it, I eventually become invested and get a lot written. This only applies to writing, not outlining.

3. ToDandy

ToDandy Senior Member

I usually exercise before I write. Once I get done with work I'll go out for a jog (I'm a long distance runner), and that will clear my head. It also gives me a chance to consider what I'm going to write and where I'm going with the chapter/general narrative.

By the time I get back, I've got a clear head, an idea of where my story's going, and I'm too tired to do anything but pour myself a glass of wine, sit down, and write.

Okon and Tea@3 like this.
  4. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

I use a routine. Start at the same time (or around the same time) every day, work for a certain number of hours, then quit. Even if I'm not feeling it that day, I still write. It's hard in the beginning, but after a couple days, my brain gets so used to it, it's bursting with inspiration at the start of session. I go from writing 1k words the first week to 4k+ by the end.

storystitcher likes this.
  5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Drink Vietnamese coffee, and not give a damn what anybody is going to say about it. It is going to be bad, but at least it was fun to write it. :supergrin:(Yes I am my own worst critic)

SethLoki and Tea@3 like this.
  6. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

1) I start my writing day by reading this forum and responding to posts. It makes me feel like a writer, so it works for me.

2) Then I turn on my word processor (or planning software) and stare at it. If I have to force myself to make a start (most days I do) then that's what I do. Eventually, I get down to it.

3) A lot of times, I have to forcefully keep myself working for the prescribed four hours and that means repeating step two above... except for starting the software.

Tea@3 likes this.
  7. Tea@3

Tea@3 Senior Member

Ditto! :superyesh:

(mods, why is there no 'raised beer mug' emoji yet?)

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

For me, I don't necessarily jump to writing when i get inspire. I have learned that for me being patient is key for consistent quality writing. So I don't stay up for hours. If i burn myself out tonight then what is left for tomorrow?

9. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

What on earth is Vietnamese coffee? Or rather, what makes it different than a regular cuppa'?

10. Tea@3

Tea@3 Senior Member

It's heavenly. Give it a try.

(ummm, no links allowed? shucks. Google "G7 3-in-1 coffee")

11. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

Yes, exercise, or something else menial without the company of music is best. My mind usually starts blossoming ideas at that point.

ToDandy likes this.
  12. mrieder79

mrieder79 Probably not a ground squirrel Contributor

I have 1 hour in the morning, 1 hour in the evening. If writing doesn't happen then, it doesn't happen. I sit and write. Inspiration usually comes at some point. If it doesn't I keep on writing until I have to stop. If it does, I keep on writing until I have to stop.

Some of my better days have started off as some of my worse. I don't know how to make my brain more alert, but when I sit and focus I can usually make it write.

13. Sack-a-Doo!

Since the reply you got on this was simply, "It's heavenly," I'd like to take a stab at answering.

Since Vietnam was at one point a French colony and the French are known for their dark roast, I suspect Vietnamese coffee is a variation on dark roast, perhaps similar to espresso.

No-Name Slob likes this.
  14. Tea@3

Tea@3 Senior Member

Vietnamese coffee is very strong. The kind I use is instant 3 in 1 variety, coffee and cream already mixed in, just add water.

To the question of 'what makes it different' I guess I'd say it's the much higher caffeine levels, and the very distinct taste which can't really be described in words, which is why I say one has to try it to see.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  15. Sack-a-Doo!

Sorry, @Tea@3, no disrespect intended. I was just looking for an excuse to take a stab at a guess. :)

Tea@3 likes this.
  16. Tea@3

Tea@3 Senior Member

@Sack-a-Doo! :supercool:

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.
  17. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

Wine use to be a good way for me to get the idea/inspiration juices going but not anymore. Now hot tea and sour candy helps the words flow. There is also the exercising, reading and it never seems to fail that if I am away from any device that can capture a thought (like a phone, pen or lipstick and a mirror) I will most definitely will have the ideas of ideas and will forget as sure as a dream will disappear moments after waking.