1. Man in the Box

Man in the Box Active Member

I feel like I'm rushing it

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Man in the Box, Oct 7, 2011.

Well, I have most of the important scenes in my story already planned, which I think is actually a trap I fell into... Basically, it's like this: my story is divided between the time in which the main character is eight-years-old and the time she's seventeen. I'm writing tied to the timeline, so the scenes of her being a child are being written first, but I have already written some scenes into the future. The thing is, I can't wait to start writing the scenes in which she's seventeen, but I have the whole beginning in which she's eight to write, so what's happening is that I feel I sometimes rush this beginning to get to the more fun parts faster. But I want to write the beginning with the same level of quality of the latter parts...

What should I do in this case? The beginning is crucial since it defines her personality for the remainder of the story, so I can't write it badly, it wouldn't do my work justice. I find that I'm with my hands tied... Maybe it's also due to me forcing myself to write when I'm not so inspired, but I don't know.

Any ideas?

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I'm confused - why not just write the scenes when she's seventeen, and then write the beginning later? There's no rule that says that you have to write the story in order.

3. CottonCandi

CottonCandi Active Member

I know what you mean, I tried to do the same thing with my character. I finally gave up and just started at the good part in your case when she is seventeen, then I wrote in the important parts of her being younger and added it with the second part of the story as a memory. It worked out well. Don't force yourself to write what you don't like. Start at your favorite part! Good luck!

4. 'Nevermore'

'Nevermore' New Member

Ah, I know, despite my friends frequent warnings, I fell into that trap too, though I did so with my manga, not my book (luckily). Why not do a brief outline, maybe sketch or doodle out important parts on a piece of paper, then start off with the future part? That way, as new ideas come to you while you write for the 17 year old protagonist, you can enter it into the 8 year old protagonist later.

5. Protar

Protar Active Member

If you don't enjoy the first scenes why write them. Do you really need to have scenes of him as an eight year old? If it's backstory you're after then flashbacks, dreams and reveals work just as well.