1. vasafaxa

vasafaxa New Member

Fairy Tale (a sci-fi/fantasy)

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by vasafaxa, Jun 17, 2008.

Set in the future when seeing the future have made stories and history a fading breed in the best light and in reality extinct. With humans given the ability to use computers to make their greatest imaginings real, and even to some degree, predict the future, everything in the real world moves smoothly, even while people live out visceral and violent fantasy's in their own mind.

A woman who is an intern for a psychiatrist who treats the select handfull of people in the universe who are labled disturbed. One day she is doing the standard mind-search when she comes across a memory/dream/file labeled Fairy Yale. She opens it and after encountering a feeling very similar to death, finds a man who much resembles death himself. He gives her some cryptic buisness about a lack of beleif in the mortal world.

She wakes to find her own belief blockers destroyed (the things that prevent imagination from bleeding into the real world.) It will be another couple of days until new ones will be shipped. Meanwhile she is cut off from the rest of the world unable to access her imagination out of fear that she will lose all sense of reality.

And while she succeeds in not accessing her imagination as much as it tempts her. The dream/memory/virus returns, this time sucking her into her own imagination for good, well almost. She managed to construct a program that would keep her from being completely sucked in, leaving her with a delete button that would destroy all the softwear in her head, leaving her isolated from the rest of humanity for the rest of her life.

Finally she has to decide whether to jump head first into this "fairy tale," or disconnecting herself from the net and world of technology. She chooses to enter the fairy tale.

And finds herself a spy for a subervisive queen with her sights set on usurping the High King of the fair folk's throne. Sent to the High Faerie court she finds herself easily identifying the psychology's of various familiar fairy-tail creatures and outwitting them all until she meets the High King himself, whois the only one who knows anything about her world, and thus her. He then reveals to her that she is the Tithe.

But tithe doesn't mean sacrificing herself to some monster. No it means that her body will become while her spirit will remain "Under the Hill", here. He offers her an opportunity to rule at his side, for eternity, while her own mortal body is doomed to spread belief in the Faireland to her delicate patients, thus increasing his power. She refuses him, and steals his pendent which has the delete key to the whole program.

button allowing her to escape. But she can't bring herself to destroy this world that she's come to know. So she runs away leaving him with power over her mortal body, but she has his very soul and even perhaps his heart in the palm of her hand.

She contacts the subversive queen to try and form a coup, but it turns out that she was in on the game. Forced into hiding she gathers the friends that she met in the Fairy Court and begins to form her own kingdom. She turns her power into a great walled city, in which she rules. Biding her time until she can retaliate at the King of Death and Dreams.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Is there a question here? Are you stuck?

If you're asking for an opinion, it's far better to write the story first, and ask the opinion of that.

This forum is for getting help with plot development problems.

3. vasafaxa

vasafaxa New Member

Oh sorry, well in general I was wondering if it was just completely confusing, cliche, etc? Sorry.

I particular I was wondering about the ending. I feel like it isn't ending with a punch, and I'm wondering how I can do that.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.