Tags:
  1. ElConesaToLoco

ElConesaToLoco Active Member

Bringing down a bison with a single arrow

Discussion in 'Research' started by ElConesaToLoco, Aug 24, 2018.

Would it be possible to kill a bison with a single arrow through the eye socket, even if it'd need to go in a very specific angle (Maybe the bison was raising it's head)? The idea is that the bow was shot from 30 paces.

I have a kid telling the MC about the best bow shot his father ever did, and I'm wondering if that would make sense. I'm checking pictures of bison skulls but I can't figure out if there's a direct path from the eye to the brain that an arrow could pierce through.

Anyone here with hunting experience?

Edit: I might just say that the arrow went into the heart and save myself the chance of messing this one up. After some digging in hunting forums, it seems like it isn't really that hard to bring down a bison with bow and arrow. Apparently, they only have one lung cavity, meaning that the moment that lung cavity gets pierced, the animal will almost inevitably go down. I'll just say that the shot's distance was exceptional. That should be enough to explain how good his father was.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Yes, not likely but possible - a long bow will put an arrow through a breeze block so its certainly possible for it to smash through bone, although it would be a hell of a shot to his something as small as an eye. (and yes a broadhead anywhere near the heart will drop it from blood loss a lot more easily) Another possibility would be a brain shot through the thin area of bone immediately in front of the ear

3. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

If we're talking about the sort of bow that most plains Indians used, I'm not sure that they'd have the poundage to do that sort of damage. They certainly weren't as strong as the European long bow, which was designed to go through mail and armor. But a modern compound bow would certainly be able to do the job.

4. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

Maybe not a bow, but if you had an atl atl, that might be able to bring it down. Still might take two spears though! Bison are tough!

Malisky likes this.
  5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

6. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    What is the arrowhead made of? Is it a flint arrowhead or is it a titanium arrowhead that is razor sharp? The power of the bow is only one aspect of your question. The other is the strength of the arrow and the penetrating ability it has.