Tags:
  1. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

Broader POV for the next story?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by DeathandGrim, Mar 12, 2013.

I finished my first draft novella (yay me) and am already ready to do editing, revising and such but my problem comes for the next story in the series. The first story was first person and focused solely on the MC and his personal internal struggle with his addiction to murder. But the next part of the tale involves him interacting with a significantly larger cast of messed up individuals and despite how much I enjoyed telling the story through my previous MC's eyes I want everyone to share the spotlight for a bit even though he's still gonna be the one the story revolves around.

My question is could the storytelling be split broadly and still remain devoted to one character? And more importantly would I be making a mistake by making it more about story and less about the character?

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I think you've got an interesting proposition going here.

Personally, I LOVE looking at characters through other characters' eyes. I do this myself, when I write, even to the extent of repeating an incident from another character's perspective on occasion. The main character can't see himself as other see him, but others can, and their opinions of him will be revealing indeed. How much do they really understand about him? How much do you think he understands about himself?

An action your main character thinks of as 'loving', another character might see as 'controlling.' Your MC might think he's being sensible, but another character might think he's just being selfish. This sort of dual-view illuminates motive and adds spark to any story.

I'd say go with this. Go ahead and write your next story from another perspective. You'll be able to get inside ANOTHER character's head, AND give the reader a chance to experience your first main character again, through somebody else's eyes. What's not to like?

3. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

So I should stick with first person instead for this piece because I wanted to actually go third person

Side note: that emoticon next to my title makes me look douchy