1. IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName Senior Member Community Volunteer

Broken/cracked ribs

Discussion in 'Research' started by IHaveNoName, Oct 9, 2016.

I've got a character (a 15/16-year old girl) who's kicked hard in the side by a big guy, suffering a couple cracked/broken ribs, but no punctured organs. While I've suffered injuries to various parts of my anatomy at one point or another, I've never injured my ribs.

(Side note: How hard is it to break someone's ribs? Would once actually do it, assuming she's normal size for her age, or would he have to go at her a few more times?)

* What does it feel like (I know it hurts, but what kind of pain), especially right after it happens?
    * How does it impede everyday life? What can't you do as easily?
    * Is it hard to breathe?
    * Is there bruising?
    * Anything else you'd think is relevant.

Thanks!

2. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

1. Right after it happens, it feels tight and a sharp pain when you try to breathe. I had the wind completely knocked out of my and I couldn't catch my breath because my broken ribs wouldn't allow it.
    2. Anything that involves your core (most things) is impeded.
    3. Breathing is tough. It feels like a sharp pain when your lungs expand and put pressure on the broken/cracked ribs. You feel like you can't take a full breath and that is extremely frustrating.
    4. I had bruises when I had some ribs broken. I'm not sure if that it always the case.
    5. I'm sure other people have different experiences, but this is mine.

ETA: One shot, placed right, could easily break the ribs of a teenage girl. It doesn't take much.

IHaveNoName and Sifunkle like this.
  3. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

What @Spencer1990 has put; I'd add that sleeping is difficult, especially in the first couple of weeks, as lying down puts extra pressure on the injury. Also when they've repaired themselves there are bony lumps at the injury site that stay with you as a reminder (at least there are for me).

IHaveNoName likes this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

a blow like that could easily also lead to torn intercostal muscles (that is the muscles between the ribs) that feels like someone is sticking a hot knife in your side everytime you breathe

IHaveNoName likes this.
  5. IHaveNoName

Awesome, thanks guys.

6. Dnaiel

Dnaiel Senior Member

My father had his cracked once. The poor guy couldn't eat at the table if anyone used pepper.

7. IHaveNoName

Why? Sneezing? I can imagine that would be hell on the ribs.

8. Dnaiel

Dnaiel Senior Member

Yes, sneezing. That was a long time for him. Slipped on the ice and suffered every tiny thing around him for quite a while. I don't remember how long it took for him to get better, though.

9. Brindy

Brindy Senior Member

Sneezing, coughing and laughing all hurt like hell. I used to wrap my arms around my body tightly to try and prevent the rib cage movement when any of these happen. Next time you feel a sneeze coming on, try putting your arms around yourself and feel how much the ribs expand. I don't remember any bruising but then I wasn't beaten up. I would think there'd be plenty if kicked. It took a couple of months before it began to feel easier.

10. mykl ruby

mykl ruby New Member

I feel your pain, and totally agree with what you've written.i recently broke ribs from coughing so much when I had pneumonia. Yawning is painful if you take a deep breath, and you know how the body takes in a huge lung full of air when your about to sneeze-thats a killer.its a terrible pain to have.wouldnt wish it upon anyone

11. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I vaguely remember reading that pneumonia is a risk, because you can’t breathe deeply.

12. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

All broken bones have significant bruising because the periosteum (lining of bones) has a rich blood supply.

And yes, pneumonia is a risk because you splint your coughing and don't take deep breaths which leads to the bronchi and trachea not effectively keeping microorganisms out of the alveoli where organisms can cause pneumonia.

15/16 yr old, (unless she has other chronic conditions or is really a wimp that lays in bed and complains about the pain) would be much less likely to develop pneumonia. Getting up and about is as important as coughing and taking deep breaths.

mykl ruby and Cave Troll like this.
  13. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    One small extra thing. If the break is bad enough,
    it could perforate something important, and that
    would be a whole new can of worms. :p

Though if you happen to have a tribe of cannibals,
    fire up the barbie, cause George is clearly next on
    the menu. :D