1. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

What are your favorite movie quotes?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cazann34, Mar 11, 2013.

Two quotes I love come from 'The Matrix.' Trinity says to Mr Smith when he's defying physics by dodging her bullets. She then lifts the gun to his head, point blank and says, 'Dodge this.' The other is from Morpheus when he tells Neo to: 'stop trying to hit me and HIT me' when they are in combat mode.

What are your favorite movie quotes?

2. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

What was once before you - an exciting, mysterious future - is now behind you. Lived; understood; disappointing. You realize you are not special. You have struggled into existence, and are now slipping silently out of it. This is everyone's experience. Every single one. The specifics hardly matter. Everyone's everyone. So you are Adele, Hazel, Claire, Olive. You are Ellen. All her meager sadnesses are yours; all her loneliness; the gray, straw-like hair; her red raw hands. It's yours. It is time for you to understand this. Walk. As the people who adore you stop adoring you; as they die; as they move on; as you shed them; as you shed your beauty; your youth; as the world forgets you; as you recognize your transience; as you begin to lose your characteristics one by one; as you learn there is no-one watching you, and there never was, you think only about driving - not coming from any place; not arriving any place. Just driving, counting off time. Now you are here, at 7:43. Now you are here, at 7:44. Now you are... gone.

Synecdoche, New York

3. Sanjuricus

Sanjuricus Active Member

Has to be:
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. [laughs] Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears in rain. Time to die.
    (from Bladerunner)

Also anything said by the drill sergeant in the first half of full metal jacket.

Could go on quoting for pages but I'll leave it at that ;)

4. SwampDog

SwampDog Senior Member

Crocodile Dundee - him and his girlfriend accosted by thugs. Flick-knife type blade produced.

Call that a knife? That's not a knife. (Big grin as he pulls Bowie-type from holster at his back). THIS is a knife.

Thugs run off.

Bloody hilarious.

5. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

I've just thought of another one from Starship Troopers 'anything given has no value' Granted mine are more one liners but still very memorable.

6. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

"We'll always have Paris."

Rick blaine, Casablanca.

7. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

"I heard a joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he’s depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, 'Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up.' Man bursts into tears. Says, 'But doctor… I am Pagliacci.' Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.”

- Rorschach in Watchmen (written by Alan Moore)

8. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

"Some men are born to do our unpleasant jobs for us; your father is one of them." Maude to Gem in "To Kill A Mockingburd".

"Every man on that transport died. Harry wasn't there to save them because you weren't there to save Harry." Clarence in "It's A Wonderful Life".

"If Jesus were alive today and saw what's going on in his name, he'd never stop throwing up." Frederick in "Hannah and Her Sisters".

In answer to the question, is there any difference between Democrats and Republicans: "There's all the difference in the world; they're in and we're out!" Jim Connover in "State of the Union".

"Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!" - "Patton".

"We're paratroopers, lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded." - Winters in "Band of Brothers".

"If you carried that bag for a million miles, you did it because it was what you were supposed to do!" John Prentice in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinnner."

"Yeah, well, first I hit him in the fist with my face, then I hit him in the knee with my groin." Allan in "Play It Again, Sam"

"At a stage where most men sail through life, Bialystock has struck a reef!" - Max in "The Producers"

"You have such persistence, Bertie, you're the bravest man I know. Make a bloody good king." Lionel in "The King's Speech"

9. Selbbin

'Don't be sorry, just put on some new underwear.' - Harry the cop, Barfly.

'Ma, sooner or later, there comes a point in a man's life when he's gotta face some facts. And one fact I gotta face is that, whatever it is that women like, I ain't got it.' - Marty, in Marty

10. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

"Just like a wap, takes a knife to a gunfight" Sean Connery The Untouchables - bit like swamp dog's croc dundee

Anything from casablanca - the script writers Julius and Philip Epstein were genii

11. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

there's another from Liam Neeson in a movie, the name completely escapes me...grrrr....

Liam Neeson (catholic) escapes troubles in Northern Ireland by going to London to look for work and ends up on a building site. On top of the scaffolding he meets another group from Northern Ireland and doesn't know what religion they are.
    "Are you one of us?" says the leader of the group rather menacingly
    Liam Neeson looks over the scaffold, he's 10 stories high and sees himself landing on a pile of bricks if he says the wrong thing and simply replies "Well I'm not one of them" and goes back to work.

12. EdFromNY

Sometimes, it's the exchange more than just a single quote. One of my faves, from a night scene in the made-during-the-war flick, "Operation Burma":

"Hey, Joe. You okay?"

"I'm okay, sweetheart." Pulls pin, throws grenade, loud blast. "And my name ain't Joe."

Another from "Casablanca":

Rick: Why are you closing me down?
    Renault: I'm shocked - shocked! - to find gambling going on here.
    Raoul (handing Renault a wad of bills): Your winnings, sir.
    Renault: Oh, thank you very much.

13. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Jeff Goldblum takes a woman up to his room for the night. She pulls a knife on him. He darts behind a curtain peeks out and
    says - "So I guess sex is out." - Vibes

"In our family we don't divorce our men, we bury 'em." - Lord Love a Duck

Jerry rips off his wig and reveals that he's really a man to his older admirer ( also a man) Osgood who says -
    "Nobody's Perfect."

"Why don't you slip out of that wet coat and into a dry martini." The Major and the Minor

Any line in It's a Wonderful Life.

"That'll be the day." John Wayne - The Searchers.

"Well what do you do with yourself?" Roslyn ( Marilyn Monroe )
    "Just live." Gay ( Clarke Gable )
    "How does anyone just live."
    "Well you start by going to sleep. You get up when you feel like it. You scratch yourself. You fry yourself some
    eggs. You see what kind of day it is; throw stones at a can. Whistle." - From the Misfits.

14. Emeve

Emeve New Member

"We're going to need a bigger boat." Jaws.

"And in the end, I realized that I took more than I gave, I was trusted more than I trusted, and I was loved more than I loved. And what I was looking for was not to be found but to be made." John Hughes

"I know you! I knew you as soon as I saw you on the road coming to my door. Since then, there is no movement of yours that has not betrayed you! A pace, a glance, a turn of the head, the flash of your throat as you breathe... even your way of standing perfectly still - they were all my spies!" The Last Unicorn, I saw the movie when I was a kid before I read the book.

Pretty much anything from Real Genius.

15. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

'Food beyond compare. Food beyond belief. Mix it in a mincer and pretend it's beef.' Les Miserables - for some reason I really love that line.

'I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.' Dr Strangelove - my all time favorite film. I could quote that film all day.

16. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

"Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn." -Alfred Pennyworth, The Dark Knight

"But... why is the rum gone?" -Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Carribean

"Badges? Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!" -Bandit leader, Treasure of the Sierra Madre

"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants." -Frank, Once Upon a Time in the West.

Charlie Chaplin's entire speech from the Dictator.

"I'm a leaf on the wind!" -Wash, Serenity.

17. EdFromNY

One more, because it just occurred to me:

"You're not going to be one of those people who go through life wondering why shit keeps falling out of the sky on them." Michael in "Michael Clayton".

18. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

"'Course it's a good idea!" - God, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"They call me Little John. But don't let my name fool you. In real life, I'm very big." - Little John, Robin Hood: Men in Tights

And just about anything by the Coen brothers.

19. EdFromNY

"I'd better be getting back. They'll think I've lost control again and put it all down to evolution." The Supreme Being in "Time Bandits"

20. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Rhune Balot and Oeufcoque during the climax to Mardock Scramble: The First Compression. One of the grittiest anime movies I've ever seen with great characterization.

Oeufcoque
    Are you all right?

Rhune Balot
    I don't want to be turned into a fireball.

Balot
    Is the last of our prey nearby?

Oeufcoque
    Don't talk like that.

Oeufcoque
    You're not enjoying this, I hope?

Balot:
    I'm doing what you taught me to do, that's all.

Oeufcoque
    A-ah...I-I didn't teach you to...

Balot:
    Don't worry I'll pull it off.

21. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. A interplay between Kirk and Khan.

Khan! You bloodsucker! You'll have to do your own dirty work now, do you hear me? Do you??

Kirk, my old friend, you're still alive.

Still 'old friend.' You've managed to kill just about everyone else but like a *poor* marksman, you keep missing the target!!

22. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Go ahead punk, make my day - Dirty Harry

Frankly my dear I don't give a damn! - Gone With the Wind

But first and foremost, I remember Mama - I Remember Mama

It's good we don't have to go to the bank - I Remember Mama

23. Selbbin

I've been pretending to be dead since 1am. But unfortunately I'm still alive. - Lawrence, The Girl in the Cafe

24. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

You're a better man than I am Gunga Din - Gunga Din

25. GazingAbyss

GazingAbyss Member

"Groovy." - Ash, Evil Dead 2

Hey, what can I say? I'm a simple gal with simple tastes.