Building Characters Looks

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Kelsey Alayna, Jan 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. The Piper

The Piper Contributor Contributor

@BabyNayahi exactly - in no way am I saying "don't do this, it won't help you as a writer" because I know that for some people, like yourself, it's a really helpful tool to use. I think essentially what I'm saying is "don't do this IF it won't help you as a writer - or if it won't help your reader". Even if you're not using your images to describe minute details (which you shouldn't) if it's helping you with whatever description you are doing, then by extension it's improving your story. Different people have different methods, and there's no reason why yours would be any less valuable than anybody else's.

Just a cookiemunster likes this.
  2. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I 100% agree with this, and the method stated. I really don't find you need to spend copious amounts of time on visualizing and designing the characters to every inch of detail in how they look. That's what 3D modelers have the pleasure of slaving away at.

The characters image can be done rather quickly and easily. I tend to focus on distinctive characteristics when writing up a quick character profile. I only really lean on aspects that either make them unique, or are integral to the story. Many times I don't even have the skin color involved. I feel the reader likes to imagine a character a certain way with the visual clues and actions given, and be allowed some of their own idea in the picture. Remember, your characters are players in the game you've created. It isn't about the individual character, but the story overall as a whole. Too much focus on the character will likely lead you towards the fate of Piper's former friend.

Now if I could apply that to my insane, drawn out research mess I've gotten myself into...