Tags:
  1. Raven

Raven Banned

'Grand Theft Auto IV' races into videogame record books

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, May 8, 2008.

"Grand Theft Auto: IV" blew away videogame and Hollywood records as its creators reported Wednesday that it raked in an unprecedented 500 million dollars in its opening week.

Take-Two Interactive said approximately six million copies of "GTA IV: Liberty City Stories" have sold worldwide, with more than half of those games snatched up within 24 hours of the game hitting store shelves April 29.

"Grand Theft Auto IV's first week performance represents the largest launch in the history of interactive entertainment," said Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick.

"We believe these retail sales levels surpass any movie or music launch to date."

"Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" took in 196 million dollars in its first week to seize the Hollywood crown for top-grossing film opening, according to Box Office Mojo.

Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter expects "GTA: IV" to be the second best-selling videogame ever behind its predecessor "GTA: San Andreas," which has sold 23 million copies.

"I'm sure 'GTA: IV' beats Hollywood movie opening weeks," Pachter told AFP.

"But it depends how one looks at it. I'm sure more people saw 'Ironman' than played 'Grand Theft Auto' in the past week but fewer dollars changed hands."

The 'Ironman' film based on the Marvel Comics character opened in theaters Friday.

The "GTA" franchise is the work of Take-Two's Rockstar Games studio and is an epicenter for outrage over violence in videogames because players triumph with acts such as carjacking, thuggery, and killing.

The Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) stamped a "Mature" label on "GTA: IV" banning US retailers from selling the game to anyone less than 17 years old.

Take-Two hopes the superstar launch of "GTA: IV" will give it leverage in takeover talks with the world's largest video game maker, Electronic Arts, which is trying to buy the New York City-based firm.

Take-Two rejected a two-billion-dollar offer from EA and delayed talk of negotiation until after the release of "GTA: IV."

2. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

It's definitely one of the best video games I've ever played. Just as GTA 3 did, it's set a whole new precedent in gaming for me. Normally I don't care that much about video games, but if they keep releasing titles like this, I might have to start spending more time in front of the television.

3. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

I haven't played it yet, buy my friend did and surprisingly, bought four copies the first day. What a punk! Didn't even share.

4. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Why did he buy four copies?

5. FinalConflict

FinalConflict New Member

Four copies? Why?

I haven't played it yet either, but I heard it's awesome.

6. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

*sigh* Am I like the only hardcore gamer that doesn't get anything out of GTA? Bleh - I want MGS 4.... :p

7. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

MGS is better...

And four copies is just pointless. That guy deserves to be shot for moronity.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Unless he is planning resale at a profit when the store stocks are depleted...

or gifts.

9. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Nah, can't be gifts, Cog :p

10. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

MGS is way better. That and Final Fantasy are the whole reason I'm buying a PS3.

I found out today he resold them for more because Gamespot was out until Saturday.

11. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

lol - I feel validated now.

>_>

My friends keep teasing me with stories about how awesome the games on the PS3 are... I'm starting to think they're not my friends. :p

12. UnknowingWriter

UnknowingWriter New Member

I love GTA, and hopefully getting GTA IV over the weekend.

13. tambourineman

tambourineman New Member

My wife has just bought a PS3... she's obsessed with "Oblivion".... I am addicted to Football Manager 2008 on the laptop.... even bought a new suit when we reached the cup final!!!!

14. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Hold onto that woman :p