Tags:
  1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Novel Summer novels

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by deadrats, Jun 26, 2017.

Anyone else trying to finish a novel this summer? It's not quite nano but still a challenge. I'm not too far along, not as far as I would like to be. I had a good chunk, but then decided to do a complete overhaul of a main character. The ripple effect changed everything. Still, the end of the summer is my plan. Any tips for finishing a novel quickly and cleanly? I'm trying to do as much of the editing as I can while working on the story. I can't work with a mess or allow myself to write whatever just to reach a word count. It will probably be a mess anyway. I haven't planned out the plot. I guess I'm scared to take the story in the wrong direction. Is that a common fear when you are trying to write quickly?

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

No chance, for me. I do have a back-burner project I could probably complete in that time, but right now I don't want to front-burner it. My current WIP will take me a long, long time, I think. An optimistic estimate will be completion by the end of next summer, not this one.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'll probably finish my second WIP this summer ... the idea then being to have them both edited and self pubbed for the Xmas run up .. whether I'll manage that is debateable

4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Winter is my heavy writing season. Freezing, snowy, and dark at 3:45...

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I've got about six weeks off work this summer, and I plan to spend a lot of it writing.

So at least one novel (not sure which one, yet...), but I also have to do a lot of website/social media/platform stuff, and I want to try this new, kinda weird texting-based format for short stories a company is looking for, and I have a few projects to re-publish (although with my total lack of promo re-publishing only takes a few minutes...)

But, yes, a novel, too. Fun with words!

6. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I'm about 80K into my WIP, so theoretically I should be able to finish it this summer. It's just a matter of me making time for writing instead of doing the zillion other things I love to do in the summer. Like @Homer Potvin I find it easier to write in the winter when I don't want to leave the house.

7. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    IDK? Maybe, or maybe by fall.
    I don't tend to rush when it comes
    to things like this. Though am sure
    my few readers would like to know
    how it ends before next year. :p

8. Ale

Ale Member

My goal is to finish the first draft of this WIP by summer, let's see how it goes!

9. Damien Loveshaft

Damien Loveshaft Active Member

I'm doing the July camp nano for my first draft and hope to self publish the first volume of a series by the end of September by spending August illustrating and Editing.

10. Siena

Siena Senior Member

No. When I write quickly without outlining, I'm afraid of the tons of rewriting I'll have to do.

11. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

I don't like to rush it. I just write at my pace and let the time pass and pass. I know I should set a deadline for myself but I just can't. Eventhough I already know how to finish my novel and the plot is complete in my mind. but I'm still building relationships on my WIP. so, I hope that by Christmas is done.

12. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

I would suggest taking a little bit of time to get a plan in place. If you want to write efficiently, this is the best approach to keep you on track.

13. KevinMcCormack

KevinMcCormack Senior Member

Yeah, I'm on the same page. I live in Vancouver, and summer means less rain. I want to get outside. Winter is miserable here, and I can cope with the dark wet and cold, by sitting in my office writing, knowing I will be able to make up for it during July to about mid-September.

Also: family. Summer is the 'romantic getaway' season in my household, and if I told the missus I was planning to ignore her for hours on end when we could be cycling in the islands, it'd be a downright divorceworthy plan.

14. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Oh, the novel...

15. KevinMcCormack

KevinMcCormack Senior Member

dup, sorry