Tags:
  1. katina

katina Banned Contributor

what is the most irritating thing about writing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by katina, Jun 29, 2018.

let's face it we have all had/got our moments and still doo_O
    no one is perfect is neither is writing :superwhew:
    so fireaway let's hear it you can vent it out all here :rant:
    and thank you for sharing:pop:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    noobienieuw and jannert like this.
  2. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke

When you have a great idea, fall in love with it, write about half of it, and then, for some inexplicable reason, you lose interest and it's lost to the ether. Nothing pisses me off than stopping halfway through what could've been an amazing story because I can't seem to focus on it anymore.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

This--a delightful idea suddenly falling over dead--is something that interests me.

I was quoting a quote in another thread, by Walter Mosley, where he argues that you have to re-enter the story every single day, or that will happen--the facts may be there, but they'll have no life. He says that even if for some reason you can't manage to write, you need to read it or think about it or something, inside the story, every single day.

Elizabeth Gilbert said almost the same thing, except she apparently doesn't lose the story that fast. She uses a metaphor of the story being a living thing, waiting for your attention, and at some point it will shrug and go find another writer.

My "one polished scene every three days, whether I can use it or not" is the same general idea. Even if I really really don't need yet another scene of Male Protagonist watching Female Protagonist eat all the food while he lectures her or they quibble about philosophy, it keeps the story alive.

Lifeline, jannert and katina like this.
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

This is probably age-related aphasia (I just turned 69 last week), but I hate it when I KNOW there's a word that is exactly the right word 'here' ...and I can't call it to mind. So I fart around with lesser words. Sure enough, the right word eventually comes, but it makes my writing flow stutter a bit. However, if I'm fully IN writing flow this happens less, so I guess that's the answer. But it's annoying. It's like not remembering somebody's name until the moment you needed to use it has past.

5. GB reader

GB reader Contributor Contributor

So far I have only written short story, so I can't really say anything about what happens when you tackle a novel. But I find beeing so alone writing, having to decide so many things without input from others, is both the good and the bad thing about writing.

So I need help on a topic, I could post here or try to discuss with some friends. Any of those will take hours, days and I need this now. I'd love to have a friendly, bright, humorous AI to talk with in those situations. But in the end I know that I need to be that AI myself. So practice, practice, practice.

6. Jenissej

Jenissej Professional Lurker Supporter Contributor

That happens to me quite often because I'm writing in my second language. Then, when I don't know what word to use to express the thought, I start rummaging around in my native vocabulary but most of the time I'm too immersed in English at that point to come up with anything useful. It's off to the thesaurus then until I find what I wanted... Really not helping the writing flow.

jannert likes this.
  7. ChickenFreak

I have those discussions with Columbo. In the garden.

I know that Columbo is a fictional character and Peter Falk is dead. I don't care. Columbo is a great imaginary friend to have these discussions with.

Once in a while, nowadays, I also discuss them with Tywin Lannister. The TV version. I really don't like him; I'm not sure why he wants to be my literary advisor.

NoGoodNobu, Shenanigator and jannert like this.
  8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Actually, that was exactly the situation I was in when I wrote my first novel. I didn't even own any books on writing. I didn't know anybody else who was writing. I had tried joining a local writing group, but they were all either poets or folks writing their memoirs. Worthy, but nothing like what I needed.

In a way, writing alone is very good because you've only got yourself to please. You haven't got critics hovering over you, or a list of do's and don't's. It's after you've finished the novel that the work and learning starts, with the editing. Then you will need help and/or feedback. But don't worry about that at this stage. Plunge in, and don't worry about mistakes. Just write the way you want to write, about what you want to write.

"Write without fear; edit without mercy." It's a risk-free occupation.

Lifeline and katina like this.
  9. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

I think probably the most irritating thing I've experienced thus far with writing is when you know something needs fixed but you don't know how to fix it. And you really only have two options, work through it in your head or ask for someone's opinion.

10. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Focus... Focus is the most irritating thing I face, when it happens, it's wonderful but that moment is far in between and I end up slogging my way through or having to face myself to write.

katina likes this.
  11. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Other writers stealing all my best ideas, often decades before I think them up.

12. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

I absolutely hate when I've finished a short and know, deep down in my gut, that it's not right. That something about the setting is wrong, because... well my gut isn't really giving me advice on that or I'd make it good. And worse, once I know how to fix it, I need to tear this finished short apart (it's even happened that I chucked it completely, apart from about five sentences).

But you know what's better? Once I've set through the rewriting and then it fits. It doesn't take away the hair-tearing pain of worrying and thinking and self-doubt during the time when I was still casting around to find this perfect setting, but... it makes it worthwhile. And that's why I go on.

Some Guy and katina like this.
  13. noobienieuw

noobienieuw Banned

Deadlines.
    Editors.
    Pantsers who tell me I should use their approach, when I did try it and failed with it; then tell me what I need to do to make it work, when that too was a fail.

katina likes this.
  14. katina

how do you mean? how do you know they do??

Some Guy likes this.
  15. ChickenFreak

I'm confident that he was joking.

Shenanigator, katina and Some Guy like this.
  16. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

When I lack the words to fully express a scene that plays out so perfectly in my bias mind. It's frustrating.

Shenanigator, Some Guy and katina like this.
  17. Dreamer96

Dreamer96 Member

When you can't find a good verb or adjective and neither can the thesaurus so you're just stuck

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Some Guy and katina like this.
  18. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

When I sit down to read a good, thick 400 page novel, but my brain thinks "you should be writing right now" and resists the process for a good couple hours until I finally get into it.

19. Cohen

Cohen Member

Probably that, unlike anything else in my life, I require other peoples input in order to figure out my own mind. I'll write stuff down, think about the background and context, but I need someone else to read it and understand it before I can properly move on.

katina and Some Guy like this.
  20. katina

I mean do you always worry that you are not writing when you are doing something else?

21. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

I’ve learned to suppress it, but that’s my gut reaction while I’m working on a story.

katina likes this.
  22. ChickenFreak

When I get a snack, write a forum post, change the channel, move from the couch to the table, and my SO thinks that that means it's OK to TALK to me! I'm gearing up to write, dangit! Stop interrupting!

Only mostly joking.

Shenanigator, katina and Catrin Lewis like this.
  23. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

The writing bit. Having written things is the fun part.

katina likes this.
  24. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

The words.

25. Jenissej

Jenissej Professional Lurker Supporter Contributor

When I've written out of order again and the gaps between paragraphs stare at me with their accusing little blank-space-eyes.

katina and Some Guy like this.