1. C.F. Boehlke

C.F. Boehlke Member

C.F. Boehlke's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by C.F. Boehlke, Jul 25, 2017.

I am new to this community and LOVE this progress journal feature! I have been working on the same novel for about 6 years, off and on, and I think that part of my problem has been a lack of accountability and tracking. I think this progress journal will be very helpful for me, even if no one views it other than myself.

I am writing a fantasy novel that currently sits at 59,802 words. I just picked it back up again a few days ago and unfortunately, I haven't made an outline. I think I am going to correct that soon. Every time I stop working on it for a while and then pick it back up, I have to reread everything and I find myself editing along the way, which slows down my progress towards finishing the first draft.

The novel is about a young woman named Laidy who ends up in a medically induced coma and discovers an alternate reality for the comatose, which is called Elsewhere. Her journey involves coming to terms with both her place in Elsewhere and the struggle awaiting her when she wakes up, as well as rising up against a villain that is out to destroy much of what makes Elsewhere so special.

I look forward to sharing my journey with this community and appreciate you all having me!

Dracon and Trish like this.
  2. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

I've found the progress journals to be one of my favorite part of the WF. Your novel sounds interesting. You say you're at roughly 60K, how close are you to finishing this draft?

3. C.F. Boehlke

C.F. Boehlke Member

Hi Stormburn,

Thank you! Well, now that I'm back at it, I hope to be done with the first draft within a month or two. I have a bit of character and plot development to figure out before I can proceed too much with writing, so that's my next task. I think it will end up being 80-90K words, and then the serious editing will begin.

4. C.F. Boehlke

C.F. Boehlke Member

Word count is up to 60,592. I spent some time reading on character building, as well. Not too shabby for a couple of hours after work, for me, at least!

5. C.F. Boehlke

C.F. Boehlke Member

Good day, folks! My word count is up to 62,224. After a long day at work and dealing with two high maintenance dogs (who I love dearly), I am a bit wiped out, but I hope to write a bit more this evening. We will see. I am also feeling the urge to read a bit of this book I've been reading on character development.

I did have a significant breakthrough today, though. I have been struggling with figuring out how exactly I want to end my novel, and I think I mapped out the bare bones of the rest of the story. I am going to sleep on it and see how I feel about the plan tomorrow, but nonetheless, this is a pretty big deal for me. I have been working on this novel for the better part of 6 years, and one reason I have taken so long to finish it was that I wasn't sure how the story needed to end.

All in all, I've had a pretty good day's work! I hope you all have, as well!

Homer Potvin likes this.
  6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin The game sour like a pickle be.... Contributor

Woo hoo! Beers?

7. C.F. Boehlke

C.F. Boehlke Member

@Homer Potvin, I've had 2 so far! :) Thank you for the support and encouragement!

Homer Potvin likes this.
  8. C.F. Boehlke

C.F. Boehlke Member

Word count is up to 63,288. I am having a really hard time focusing today...

9. C.F. Boehlke

C.F. Boehlke Member

I finished yesterday at 64,519 words, which means I had a 2K+ day! Not too shabby. Among other things, I worked on a scene that was particularly fun to write but I'm not sure if it'll make the cut in post. We'll have to see.

Here's to hoping I can crank out another 2K today! I anticipate that my MS will end up being somewhere between 85K and 90K words by the time the first draft is finished. If that holds true, I can finish it in 20-25 days if I write 1K words per day, or half that if I can manage 2K a day. I've been working on this sucker for 6 years, off and on, so it feels good to see a light at the end of the tunnel. It also feels good just to be working on it again. I am not sure if I'll be ready to say goodbye to this world upon completion of this novel and ideas are churning for a sequel.

Happy writing today, folks!

10. C.F. Boehlke

C.F. Boehlke Member

Well, zero writing has taken place today, but it's because I have been distracted by a job offer I received! Tonight I'm going out with my spouse to celebrate, and then perhaps afterwards I will get some writing done. If not, there's always tomorrow.

PsychicWitness, VynniL and Stormburn like this.
  11. C.F. Boehlke

C.F. Boehlke Member

Current word count: 65,523

It's really dragging right now...

12. C.F. Boehlke

C.F. Boehlke Member

Today's word count: 65,966.

It's better than nothing, which almost happened... so I'll take it!

Stormburn and VynniL like this.
  13. PsychicWitness

PsychicWitness New Member

It all adds up!

C.F. Boehlke likes this.