1. CatFace

CatFace Member

Can anyone help me identify this poem?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by CatFace, Sep 10, 2016.

I've just been talking about a poem that we were made to read in school aged 10/11

The poem was about a radish, and I have reason to believe it is simply called The Radish, though I might be wrong about that.

I can see no sign of a poem called 'The Radish' on google, nor any poems about radishes besides amateur ones posted by people, and certainly no sign of the one I remember from school. The annoying thing is that I have a memory of searching for it not so long ago and coming across it very easily as if it were a very well-known poem.

The reason it sticks in my mind is because it had some curious imagery for a poem on the primary curriculum which had the parents raising eyebrows - it used rape as a metaphor at one point, and at another point I think likened harvesting radishes to castrating someone.

Was anyone else taught this poem as a child or have any knowledge of it or links to it?

Thanks in advance to anyone.

2. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

BayView likes this.
  3. CatFace

CatFace Member

Thanks so much Lea Brooks! I wasn't expecting anyone to be able help let alone that quickly.

4. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

No problem! I am Queen of Google. :bigcool:

CatFace likes this.
  5. CatFace

CatFace Member

Reading it again confirms my opinion that it was an odd choice for ten year olds, it definitely went straight over my head, but there you go. Still, it obviously stayed with me for some reason.