1. Gladiolus83

Gladiolus83 Contributor Contributor

Can I Go Against The Order From The Draft ?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Gladiolus83, Mar 9, 2020.

I’m far from getting there with my rewrite project, but one thought has come up that may alter what must be done before the actual editing of the script starts. Back when I first wrote the story it was done in a certain order. The problem is that I can’t remember or in some way find out which order that was. And the word-files and folders are placed in the chronological order for the series. Thus the story Ascension is placed first, but it wasn’t written first originally. What do you say? Can I just work on them in the chronological order for the rewrite?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  2. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Ummm....? This is a question only you can answer.

It's *YOUR* story. Work on it in whatever manner is comfortable for you.

There is NO rule that says any piece of writing has to start like - beginning, middle, and ending.

Some people start with the end first. Some start at the beginning - then revise the middle or the ending so much that they end up going back to re-write the beginning so their work actually ends with them writing the beginning.

Do what works for you. If you find the process isn't working, change the order around. At the end of the day, if you have a story you want to tell and people want to read, who cares how you got there?

3. Gladiolus83

I think you have misunderstood. I’m talking about different separate parts of a longer series of stories. I will definitely do each part from the beginning to the end.

4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

You mean a series of books? Or short stories or something?

You definitely want to get the structure right for the entire series before you worry about smaller things like individual stories in the series. You should probably make an outline for the entire series so you can keep the order straight.

5. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

I would do them in release order, whether that's chronological in universe or not. If you can't remember in what that order they were originally planned, just decide again. If you're already up to the editing phase on an entire series, that should be easier to decide now than it was before they were written. You have a better knowledge of the entire story than before you started. If they're going to be released out of order, you can decide what would be most fun to reveal when. Think Star Wars. If watched by in-universe chronologically, there's no massive reveal in Empire.

If, on the other hand, you plan to release them in order, then there's your answer. Just go from start to finish.

ETA: Not that you necessarily have to go in any order at all, but one of these two options would be easier for most of us.

6. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Oh dear.....this is what happens when you respond before a full 8 hours of sleep. Sigh. I'll have to remember to read it more thoroughly the next time I'm sleep deprived.

Forget my post. I did think you were talking about one book, one long novel length story with multiple chapters and editing/re-writing them in a specific order.

7. Gladiolus83

Guess I need to try harder to find the order I first wrote the stories. Because you are right, if you read Zhuque’s Rising before you read *insert new title here later* then just like in Star Wars Zhuque’s confession would lose it’s element of surprise. Well, for the reader anyway. Suzaku would be just as shocked no matter the order you read in.

Rzero likes this.