1. maintenance man

maintenance man New Member

Correct usage of plural nouns.

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by maintenance man, Oct 9, 2012.

Hi to all
    I was wondering if someone could answer my question from this sample sentence from an essay I have wrote for English comp one. Just like there are many flavors and colors, people have different opinions of what they like or dislike when he or she reads a book, magazine, newspaper, or essay. I would like to know if I am using the proper plural nouns by using people, they, and he or she. Thank you all for your help.

2. lachesis77

lachesis77 New Member

"They" is correct, while "he or she" is not. If you're going to use a plural noun like "people", you need to use third-person plural pronouns in your sentence when referring to that same noun.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You are mixing number (singular vs plural) within the same sentence to refer to the same subject. Not okay.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto what lachesis and cog had to say on the subject at hand...

5. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    As others have said: "people" = plural, "they" = plural, "he or she" = singular. The "he or she" should be "they" again.

You might have been confused by the fact that "they" has long also been used as a singular pronoun for a person of unspecified gender, although some regard that usage as an error. That's excluded in this case, though, because "people" is definitely plural.