1. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

World History Map Resource

Discussion in 'Research' started by Stormburn, Mar 4, 2019.

I tracked down the source to some of the great maps that I had used in phase one of my world building:

Talessman’s Atlas of World History
    Homepage

I'm Thomas Lessman, an amateur historian with over 20 years of experience researching world history. I've had a passion for history ever since childhood, and decided to share my work and knowledge through this website.
    The Maps page has a list of my world history maps. For convenience, the maps are divided into 5 eras: Prehistoric, Primeval, Ancient, Medieval, and Modern).
    http://www.worldhistorymaps.info/index.html

Stormsong07 and Dracon like this.
  2. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

This is actually an excellent resource as far as identifying groups and geo-political separations. Great find!

Remember that it doesn't cover how those different groups viewed the maps of the world individually at the time though, since it's based off the Mercator system starting around 1600's. That means actual size of continents is somewhat distorted from actual, but are still far more accurate than many maps beforehand. Depending on the individual group, entire continents wouldn't exist in their knowledge whatsoever. Just use with a slight amount of caution.

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to drop in the bookmarks.

Stormburn likes this.