1. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Does your name fit your character?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Lea`Brooks, Mar 6, 2017.

I was doing some name research for my novel today, and I stumbled upon this website. You type in a name and it analyzes it, attempting to tell you about your personality.

I've only done a few names so far, but it seems to be... weirdly correct. It said that my MC Seren is an independent worker who doesn't take direction and criticism easily. She finds communication difficult because she's so candid, and she feels how this separates her and would give anything to be friendly instead of serious. And all of that is... well, very Seren. Caius was also very accurate, saying he strives for a position in leadership and that it is difficult for him to express tenderness and warmth.

**Disclaimer: This Is Just For Fun!**

So how 'bout it? Does your character's name match their personality?

Edit: Hahaa! Levon's name was perfect. Prone to procrastination, a great first impression, itching for new experiences... I love it.

2. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I put in my name just for fun, and it couldn't be more wrong, haha.

It gave me a list of exact opposite qualities. :D

3. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

Betty- and yes it fits it perfectly. However, when I see these very generalised statements, I am always reminded of this cold reading expose by Derren Brown: -

Oscar Leigh and Simpson17866 like this.
  4. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Alec Shorman takes great pride in being a Lawful Evil egalitarian: if his black lesbian friend Charlie tells him to shoot you in the face, he won't care if you're a straight white guy like him, he's going to do that he's told. Though he will try to be "polite" about it – unless she tells him not to, or if he feels that you're a bigot who doesn't care about "political correctness" (basic human decency). When Charlie was running a cocaine ring, Alec and their friend Amy spent most of him their time selling product on the streets, making contact with potential business partners/rivals, and knee-capping enemies because they're the two most people-oriented members of their circle of friends (as well as Alec being the best at improvising under uncontrolled circumstances).

• As Alec, you have a natural interest in the welfare of your fellow man, and a desire to help and serve others in a humanitarian way.
    • You are responsible and generous, although somewhat scattering and disorganized at times.
    • Any jobs requiring systematic and conscientious effort, or involving any form of drudgery, dismay you.
    • In your work, you would seek a position offering self-expression through contact with people, such as sales or teaching, or a position giving scope to your creative, artistic talents.
    • You are good-natured and likeable, and people tend to confide in you and seek your advice in personal problems.
    • Others sense your sincere interest and desire to help, and you can always be counted on to see the bright side of any problem.
    • You enjoy making others happy and you never let your own problems "get you down" for any length of time, even though you do tend to worry too much at times.
    • Your optimism can be a source of inspiration to others as well as yourself.
    • In close personal relationships you are usually thoughtful and considerate.
    • However, your natural interest in others, coupled with your sympathetic reaction to problems, could draw you into emotional situations which may be difficult to get out of.
    • Health weakness would appear as skin conditions or ailments relative to the liver.
    • A tendency to overeat quick-energy foods aggravates any health problems.
    Holy ****

Charlie next?

Charlie's a cold-blooded professional who just wants to make a living, is extremely pragmatic about what kind of a living to make, and who is a lot more organized than she is sociable. She enjoyed the routine of cooking product more than she enjoyed negotiating with other dealers, and she generally let her friends Alec and Amy do most of the talking when negotiations were still in the information-sharing stage, not taking over the conversation until she'd made a final decision about what she wanted.

• As Charlie you are rather serious-minded, responsible, and stable.
    • You have the gift of tact and diplomacy, and possess a charming, easy-going nature which endears you to others.
    • You have a serious desire to understand the heart and mind of everyone, and could be very effective in a career or in volunteer work where you are handling people and serving in a humanitarian way.
    • This name also gives you a love of home and family, and as a parent you would likely be fair and understanding.
    • You remember the thoughtful little expressions of affection and appreciation that mean so much to others, and you have the ability to create a warm and loving environment.
    • However, you tend to put things off and avoid facing issues because of a lack of confidence and uncertainty.
    • You often need encouragement from someone before you can come to a decision.
    • This name creates a generally well-balanced and healthy nature, but any weakness in the health would cause problems in the fluid functions, such as kidney or bladder trouble, overweight, or swelling of the legs and ankles.
    OK, so pretty much only the first point.

Amy is the most violent of the group. While Charlie and Alec have killed people in their professional capacities running the drug ring, Amy is the only one who's gone extracurricular as a serial killer (though she tries to be "polite" about it by knocking her victims out first so they don't die afraid). She loves being around people, but doesn't like being told what to do.

• Your first name of Amy has made you a friendly, approachable, and generous person.
    • Generally you are good-natured, though at times you can be blunt and sarcastic.
    • As you are naturally talkative, you find it easy to meet and make friends with many people.
    • This name inclines you to be sympathetic and generous to those in difficult or unfortunate circumstances.
    • You can be firm, positive, and independent in your own ideas and in reaching your own decisions, yet when it comes to taking action or following things through to completion, you often need encouragement.
    • You respond quickly to kind words or any appreciation shown you.
    • There are artistic, creative abilities in this name that you could express through music or singing, or, in a practical way, through sewing or interior decorating.
    • You enjoy freedom from monotony and are stimulated by unexpected opportunities for meeting people, entertaining, or pursuing activities of a carefree nature.
    • In your work, you find it difficult to be neat and orderly.
    • You rarely plan things ahead of time, or follow a routine.
    • Emotion and feeling, the desire to be carefree, friendly, and happy, are the driving forces in your being, rather than shrewdness, ambition, and material success.
    • You could experience headaches, or problems with your teeth, ears, eyes, or sinuses.
    • Health weaknesses relative to the functioning of the liver could appear.
    That is a perfect description of Alec, and pretty much the only major differences here is that Amy's a lot more neat and orderly than this.

Amy's baby brother Jason doesn't have the sociopathic disregard for human life that Amy and her friends do, so they keep him away from the nastier parts of running a drug ring: sometimes keeping him from finding out that anybody got hurt, other times convincing him that it was their rivals' fault instead of their own (Alec and Charlie don't care as much about Jason personally, but they care about Amy and they respect that she cares about him). His main job was keeping the gang's financials in order because he loves routine and solitude as much as Charlie does.

• The name of Jason has given you sensitivity and appreciation for the finer and deeper things in life.
    • You can enjoy reading, study, and contemplation about many different subjects.
    • When your interests or curiosity are aroused, you work intensely at new undertakings, but your interests often wane when you encounter drudgery and monotony, with the result that you leave many things unfinished.
    • Your name has taken you into many bitter experiences.
    • The greatest lack in your life is stability and peace of mind.
    • A peaceful and quiet environment, especially out in nature, is one of your greatest desires, but you are constantly taken into chaotic conditions.
    • Because you have high ideals and are a principled person, you have been disillusioned and disappointed in people on many occasions and have experienced much aloneness.
    • You are fond of outdoor sports, where you can find an outlet for your nervous energy.
    • Impulsiveness could bring frequent accidents and unfortunate happenings into your life.
    • You do not like to be restricted or to have your freedom curtailed in any way.
    • You find it difficult to control your thoughts and could swing in moods from one extreme to the other.
    • Your speech can become very critical and sarcastic when you are frustrated or crossed.
    • This name creates a weakness in the heart, lungs, and bronchial organs, and could cause heart trouble, pneumonia, asthma, or tuberculosis.
    • It also creates tension in the nervous system, particularly the solar plexus and stomach, causing nervous indigestion and relative conditions.
    Eh, kind of, maybe? So far, we have one dead-ringer (Alec), one that's pretty close with just a couple of glitches here and there (Amy), one "meh" (Jason), and one that's not really all that close (Charlie).

Huh.

5. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

It's useless with my book, because I have names like Zarakharn and Ginzaekh and Khriza.

6. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

One more. XD I looked up one of my gods, Aeron:

Position of responsibility? Check. Optimistic outlook on life? Well, considering he was imprisoned for a thousand years and was happy about it, I'd say that's a check. Friendly and generous? Check. Appreciation of the arts? Considering he's the god of the arts, that's a definite check. Big eater? Uhhh... I hadn't thought about it, but it could be a fun character quirk. So I guess check?

This site doesn't work for all my characters for sure. Verda's didn't really match her at all. Neither did Silena's. But Seren, Caius, Levon, and Echo were described perfectly.

7. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

I went through my three main characters. Two of them it fit pretty well, but the third, not so much.

8. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

It only worked for two names that I checked (I make up most of mine), and they were way off. Oh well :D

9. tjdell

tjdell New Member

If you still want to play with it just put in the closest phonetic common name. Most people automatically assign a phonetic equivalent in their minds when reading difficult names anyhow. ie: zack, ginza, kira

10. rktho

lol Khriza and Ginzaekh are males names.

11. tjdell

tjdell New Member

my bad. but you get what I mean. No need to exclude yourself from something just because of your genre

12. Number 7

Number 7 Member

• Your name of Augustine has given you a generous nature.
    • You will do your utmost to help others in need, despite inconvenience or even hardship to yourself.
    • You are affectionate, and respond quickly to appreciation.
    • As a child you were expressive.
    • An imaginative, impressionable person, you could excel in the theatre as a dramatist or comedienne, and the enjoyment and appreciation of your audience would be your greatest inspiration.
    • Fine as your nature is at times the power of your feelings is difficult to control as it unleashes itself through outbursts of temper.
    • The name does not engender emotional stability; nor have you the system and order in your thinking always to finish what you start.
    • Scattering of efforts interferes with success in your undertakings.
    • Sensitivity in your nervous system could cause you to suffer either through goitre, or nervous conditions, or to experience hysteria or mental repression.

• Your name of Nero creates an idealistic, sensitive nature and a desire for culture and the refinements of life.
    • You would work best in a relaxed environment at tasks involving writing, mathematical, or analytical skills that require concentration.
    • You appear calm to others, but at times you suffer inwardly with nervous tension.
    • You can find it difficult to express your deeper thoughts and feelings verbally.
    • It is much more natural for you to express your deeper thoughts in writing.
    • A lack of positivity and confidence is a source of difficulty in making decisions in business dealings.
    • You are easily offended, and can suffer with moods of depression.
    • You want the best, but lack the confidence and aggressiveness to materialize your desires.
    • Procrastination is a weakness, for so often you are inclined to avoid issues and to leave things undone until the last moment when you are forced to take action.
    • You are inclined to indulge in rich foods that lack proper nourishment.
    • This name creates weaknesses in the heart, the respiratory organs, or the kidneys.

• Your name of Daniel has created a most expressive nature, idealistic and inspirational, driven with a strong inner urge to be of service in some way that would uplift humanity as a whole.
    • However, there is a tendency to assume too heavy a burden of responsibility for others, which leads to worry and undue concern.
    • People with problems are drawn to you as they recognize you as one who has understanding and gives not only sympathy and comfort but provides also some constructive advice or assistance.
    • You have a generous quality to your nature, but you must guard carefully against giving more than you receive or you will find yourself doing without because you have helped someone else.
    • You love people, family, home, and friends and try to be a parent to the whole human race.
    • While you have generally stable conditions in your personal life, you may experience some problems in business affairs through a tendency to be scattering and inattentive to details.
    • Any health problems would show as tension in the nervous system brought on by worry.

Haven't written up much for these characters, but most of them represent qualities I wouldn't complain about. As for my own name, Daniel, I feel more like Nero then myself, but again I'm more of a compilation of both.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  13. Simpson17866

All right then, let's see who I am:

• Your first name of [ ----- ] makes you extremely generous.
    • You have a bubbling, spontaneous nature and a happy-go-lucky outlook which helps smooth the pathway of life.
    • Also you are sympathetic to the needs of others.
    • Interested in art, music, singing, dancing, and anything of an artistic nature, you could become a very fine performer.
    • Your spontaneous expression stands you in good stead during arguments or debates, though you are perhaps too outspoken and inclined to sarcasm.
    • A very real weakness of this name is lack of system and order.
    • The use of this name makes it extremely difficult to carry through and finish the things you start.
    • It is easy to make promises in an effort to make others happy, although not so easy to keep them.
    • You spend your money recklessly, seldom reckoning whether you can afford to be so generous.
    • The use of this name can cause weak ankles, a strong desire for such foods as sweets or pickles, which causes skin or liver troubles, and a desire to eat too quickly.

... Holy **** :eek:

14. Bill Chester

Bill Chester Active Member

So your name is Knut?

I put all of my characters through the website. The last one was Knut and it has precisely those points.

It was amazingly accurate, describing the characters' personalities almost perfectly. Not only that, the points not considered before in my story enlarged the personalities.

One of my characters is Italian and his name was completely wrong--every point was the opposite. I searched over ten names until I found what I was looking for--Silvio.

15. Simpson17866

It actually isn't. Now I'm wondering how many names are attached to each list.

16. Bill Chester

Bill Chester Active Member

Is your name in any way related to Knut?

17. Simpson17866

Not really

18. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

It was very hit and miss for my male lead, he does enjoy nature and he is very analytical, I wouldn't call him a technophobe, but he's very apathetic to it because he enjoys doing what he can for himself as much as physically possible. That said, he does enjoy learning about the evolution of science and uses the knowledge he acquires for work purposes. That said, his given name means 'Precious world' or 'Precious peace' and considering what he does it's rather ironic.

19. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I used the names of my two MCs from Under the Knife, Nathan (Nate) and Zachary. Apparently I should have switched their names, because according to that website Zachary is easygoing and Nathan is high maintenance! ;)

20. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I think mine fit my characters pretty well.
    Though I like the obscure and exotic sounding names. :D
    (Granted I have to make up the vast majority of them)

rktho likes this.
  21. rktho

Your intellectual readers will, I'm sure, appreciate the irony and assume it was intentional.

22. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

I tried it.

I used Rafael because it is the name of my protagonist and boy, it was spot on. Strange. Rafael in my story is cowardly, insecure and weak physically. He runs away from everything that may cause him pain. Strangely, it is also my late granddad's name and he is the exact opposite.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  23. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Ran my own name out of curiosity. It was right about the short attention span...:-D

Simpson17866 likes this.
  24. Dr.Meow

Dr.Meow Contributor Contributor

I put my own name in to test authenticity...and I'm shocked at the accuracy. How did they know?! It was completely on point with my personality, but I did notice it was vague enough to allow for that. Ran my character names through, and they were on point as well, but of course I did name my characters specifically for personality reasons and for what the names mean, despite their uniqueness.

Simpson17866 likes this.