1. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why can't we pm any more?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by mammamaia, Sep 8, 2013.

i can only find 'post' and 'start a conversation' on a member's profile page, with no apparent way to keep it private... why is that not an option?

2. Cadavar

Cadavar Active Member

Hi, the conversation option, is much like having the ability to PM. When you choose to contact someone in this manner and you select their name, they will be the only person - other than yourself - that will see your message. It's just the way the software works, I can't explain it any better then that, sorry :(

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Starting a conversation is a PM. Same thing, different name. The way to keep them private is not to check the little box for inviting others when you create the conversation (PM). IOW, private is the default. You have to chose to make it otherwise.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  4. mammamaia

ok... thanks for the feedback... i do think it could be explained more clearly on the profile page... and called something other than a 'conversation' which is misleading...

5. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Hey maia, I know this is from a few months ago, sorry I never responded soon. I suspect this has been figured out. Unfortunately the new software renamed PMs/Private Messages as "Conversations." To my knowledge there's not an easy way to change this. It might be possible, but since Conversations have been around for a few months already, I assume everyones adapted?

6. mammamaia

it's still confusing as to exactly what 'allow' and 'locked' mean...

i want to be sure my 'conversation' [pm] is really 'private' and can only be seen by the person i'm addressing...

what happens if i don't check either one of those options?... is the 'conversation' going to show on their profile, so anyone else can see it?

7. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

@mammamaia

"Allow," as in "Allow anyone in the conversation to invite others," which is displayed below a new message, will allow or prohibit people in the Conversation/PM from inviting new people. If it's unchecked, which it is by default, only the original participants can see the message. For privacy an to stop other participants from adding new people, keep this unchecked.

"Locked," assuming you mean "Lock conversation (no responses will be allowed)," I'm not 100% sure but it sounds like it'll be a one way PM, where the other party can't respond. I've never used it though, so I can't be sure, and it seems like an odd feature.

In short, keep those options unchecked for the most privacy. If you don't check the "Allow..." option only the original participants (which can be more than one) will be in the conversation.

Conversations will never show in anyones profile or publicly. Conversations are just like PMs, except they can include more people, and new people can be invited to the conversation later by anyone in the conversation if you check allow. There's also a sidebar block that says "Conversation Participants" that will list everyone who can the conversation, which you can see when viewing a particular PM.

I hope that helps, I wish there was more I could do.

8. mammamaia

that's all i needed to know, thanks!