1. klk.yangon

klk.yangon New Member

Which Genre??????

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by klk.yangon, Jun 10, 2011.

For the first time I am wondering if readers would even care to turn the pages of my book, so, here I ask which type of books you guyz would prefer....
    - a heaven-taste romance which bears unrealistic super-dooper bonds between couples (books which made readers want to live like the characters in the book)
    -a technical sci-fi , those which might happen in the future,,,blah blah,,,
    - Potters or Jackson, books containing Zeus, witches, and ninjas
    - The Brave Samurai, characters of the past, doing whatever the writer want it to be; dramatic end of its death, legendary sword move, the slash which killed the master antagonist.
    -A criminal novel; heart-pounding climax or maybe just lines of mysteries of infantile knowingness...
    - FBI freeze, books where the goods always win
    - boring pages of politics/war
    - a tear jerking read of parents ignorance
    - a book which comply with the realistic form of human behavior ( eg. I do not love my woman as much as I said I did....even though a first timer in my inner self I want to top the NY TImes bestseller (I told my friends it was just junk)
    - a biography
    - others..... please suggest

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

What I find interesting about your list is the categories that you not-so-subtly try to avoid with negative connotations (at least, they struck me as negative), phrases like "unrealistic super-duper bonds", "lines of mysteries of infantile knowingness" (no idea what that is, and doubtful that "knowingness" is a word), "boring pages of politics/war", "tear-jerking read of parents ignorance"...

While I can't tell from this list what it is that you want to write, it's rather clear that you definitely can tell. So, write it. Because if you write what you don't want to write (e.g. boring politics), it won't be any good. And if it isn't any good, no one will want to read it, no matter what genre you call it.

3. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

There are people that like all of these.
    The first critic each of us must inpress is ourselves. I believe a great writer could write about the most boring task and make it interesting.
    So on a bigger scale, I think a writer could take any subject and make a book out of it.

You must decide where your desire is, what you bring to the genre.
    If you decide to write in the most popular of genres as opposed to what you like to read, then your story will not have the passion it will need to interest a reader. It would be generic, not inspired.

You might like several genres, then just pick an area that you have a strong story in your mind.

Never write to be famous or rich, the majority of writers do not reach either of these often, so you fail each time you write.
    Write for your enjoyment, and you win every time.

4. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

Everybody has their own taste.

Personally I like Historical and Cultural related fiction/non-fiction/true stories and bio's.
    So, I write Historical and Cultural related stories.

I would never write horror, sci fi or fantasy as these don't interest me. I'm not likely to read one in that genre either.

Just write what you want to write, guaranteed people will like that genre whichever one it may be.

5. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

Why don't you mix and match or perhaps genre defy! Personally I'm not but in to crime novels or full on fantasy stuff - but there you go!

6. haribol

haribol New Member

Writing is an amazing activity and you cannot get confined formulaically in fact. Formulas do not work. A good novel is something that engages you deeply and powerfully and you can get lost in this. A good novel cannot be categorized into the one you put forth. It can contain all or most of what you wrote about. A good novel is lifelike. In life you take an interest in almost everything. And everything interests you, a little science, spiritual searches, political debates and the like. All these things if combined in a novel it will be fantastic.

I do not think the novel all of us want to read has ever been written. It has yet to be written and it demands of the novelist an arduous work. The novels I have ever read are incomplete and the great novelist who can come up with the novel I have in mind is yet to be born.

Derrida praised Ulysses. It is Derrida’s appraisal, not mine and I think this novel too is incomplete since it can have only a legion of academics who can be its readers, the rest of laymen like me will be disappointed reading his book.
    A future novel must contain something profound and something philosophical that can entertain people all genres

1 person likes this.
  7. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

I so agree. It is almost like you leave a little piece of you in them.

8. Ashrynn

Ashrynn Active Member

I'd be interested in reading what someone puts their soul into. That would be best.

9. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

Agreed with the abov poster. Also you could mix some of the genres together? Write a sci-fi with samurais?! One piece of advice I can give is write a genre you enjoy. Don't write a story that everyone else likes but you dont. It will be very obvious in your quality of writing.

10. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Seriously? Write whatever you want.

11. Glimpse

Glimpse Member

I'm with the above on this one. You hold the pen (or err... keyboard), so write whatever the hell it is you want to write. Honestly, if it's good, it's good and you've made it, if it's not, it's not so try again until it's good. If you give up: fine, but at least you tried. As for genre, I'm sorry for being a bit pedantic here but:

The preferred term is Hard Science Fiction or Hard SF, as Asimov puts it. And by the way, the genre in "which things might happen in the future" refers to speculative fiction, not SF. It's just easier to imagine SF in the future rather than in the now, so most SF is written with the setting being the future. 1984 is speculative fiction. War of the Worlds is SF, but the setting was contemporary.

Sorry, just being pedantic.

12. another wasted day

another wasted day Member

Go with the last one.

13. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

None. You make them all sound dreadful. If that's your way of describing the genre then don't write a novel in it; write whatever the hell you want and don't try to categorise it until it's finished.

For the record, the last book I read was realistic fiction. The one before that was erotica. Before that it was classic lit. I'm currently reading an auto-biography and after this I'm going to start reading a dystopian/psychological thriller.

14. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Agreed.

Also, I agree with what others have said about how you've negatively described the genres. You've described practically all of them in an unattractive way. People do actually like all genres for different reasons, and different things will appeal to different people.

15. Kio

Kio New Member

As everyone else said, write whatever it is you feel like writing. Obviously you don't like what you listed, so don't write it. If you're writing something you don't like, then least likely you will do a good job of writing it. Serious question: do you even want to write? I'm not trying to attack you, I'm really wondering this. I know I didn't go into writing because I wanted to sell the most books.

I'd say the romance genre with unrealistic, unbreakable bonds are in right now. Oh, and vampires! And werewolves. But mostly vampires.