Tags:
  1. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Can you hang someone with their guts?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Madman, Apr 25, 2019.

I do not want to google this.

Say you braided them or put several layers of intestines around the neck for strength, would it still snap? How long would it last? Does anyone know the tensile strength of human intestines?

Can you dry them and make various things with the fibers? A string for a violin? A jumping rope? Enough colored fibers for a dashing wig?

Oh the places research takes you to...

2. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

Dr Lecter, nice to errrm. meet you :eek:

3. Madman

Although you got my name wrong it is nice to meat you too :)

4. Jenissej

Jenissej Professional Lurker Supporter Contributor

As I have very little first-hand experience with gutting people and processing their intestines- uh...

Anyway. How about you research the properties of pig intestine? Pigs and humans are surprisingly alike in their anatomy, and animal intestines have been used for various purposed over the centuries. Maybe there's something that'll suit your, er, tastes.

Alternatively, go to a website that publishes medical research papers. It's crazy what science people are interested in these days. I did a little search for you and, lo and behold... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12231288

Madman and jannert like this.
  5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Just don't try this at home.

Alan Aspie and Shenanigator like this.
  6. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

Your homework: go to your local butchers and buy some pig intestines.

Madman and Jenissej like this.
  7. Sark1986

Sark1986 Active Member

It's probably wise not to google - but DuckDuckGo should be fine to source information on this - they don't track data like google does - also if you are somewhere where your data is being tracked get a VPN.
    But as @Partridge said - there is no substitute for experience - get some pig intestines from a butcher and hand some weights - who knows it might be inspirational.

John-Wayne likes this.
  8. DarkPen14

DarkPen14 Florida Man in Training Contributor

It is quite possible that human... tubes... might be able to support the weight of a person. Their tensile strength is surprisingly strong, all things considered. I watched a Because Science because the Ant-Man V Th-anus thing, and the human intestines can actually take quite a bit.

9. Madman

Thanks for the replies! Although testing it out with pig intestines sounds like a good evening, I will refrain from that for now. I can already imagine the conversation with the local authorities.

@Jenissej
    Thank you for the link! Now I just need to figure out how to comprehend the information given. I am not a native anatomy/mechanical speaker, but I will figure it out after some further research. So thanks!
    Interesting that the research has been done in Russia. Poor peasant Ivan giving his anus hose for the motherland.

10. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I highly doubt it. They aren’t very thick. I’ve never felt a humans intestines, but I’ve gutted deer. I’m positive that if I pulled on a deer intestine hard enough, I could break it with my hands.

11. Hublocker

Hublocker Active Member

Intestines are really slippery and you'd have a hard time tying knots in them or anything like that without squeezing the contents out, washing them and half drying them.

How do I know this? I'm a hunter and my wife has experimented with using deer guts as sausage skins.

Nothing sinister in my knowledge of this.

Madman likes this.