Can you read or write while listening to music?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by simina, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Actually my best writing pours out when i listen to tunes. Some songs are so strong they motivate me to write at a considerable rate, it's quite amazing actually, to see how much music can do for one person. Yet such a simple thing!

2. Iron Orchid

Iron Orchid New Member

Did that station used to be called Rock Radio not long back, the one with all the funny jingles about crappy pop music? I'm originally from Wigan and my parents had Rock Radio on all day last time I visited, it was awesome while I was working on some writing and a painting for my nephew.

3. CroZ

CroZ New Member

Yeah. It's just noise.

4. Jacobb

Jacobb New Member

Music is an invaluable inspiration for me while im writing , I feel that with music the tones and melody inspires me in some way that helps the words flow
    more smoothly and periodically than if i was writing in silence.

5. emines

emines New Member

I listen to music too attentively to be able to do that.

6. Morkonan

Morkonan New Member

Yes.

I don't listen to music while I read, but I do sometimes listen to "Focus Music" when I write, particularly if I am looking for some inspiration.

There's a funny thing, there - The human brain uses many of the same regions when interpreting music that it uses when experiencing emotions. It also uses many of the same regions when interpreting the written word... Something to remember, there. Many authors and writing instructors tout the benefits of the use of non-lyrical music as a source of inspiration while writing. And, given the results of several studies concerning how the brain processes the written word, music and emotions, it's not surprising that music can be beneficial.

I don't listen to music frequently, but I do use it as a tool to inspire creativity at times. That being said, the use of music to fuel one's creative muse may not be shared amongst all writers. We're all different, else there would only ever be one of us at a time...

7. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Senior Member

I can listen to music while writing. I often use a certain genre of music in order to create a mood inside me that reflects my character, or my narration at the time. Lately, I've been writing with a lot of jazz playing in the backround. Miles Davis pandora for the win.. I also cannot write with silence. As Cog said, it's just too distracting. I feel much more comfortable in a setting where there's a lot going on around me, such as being outside in a downtown setting, or at a coffee shop. The latter is prefered, for I like to chime my attention to nearby conversations when writing dialogue.

8. AAvertigo

AAvertigo New Member

I find myself constructing playlists that pertain to the scene I'm writing (kinda like what GoldenGhost said.) It's mostly environmental/ambience type music, though occasionally lyrical. Though it is supremely difficult for me to read with music, unless the music is tuned down to near silence.

9. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

Same here, music helps me write, helps me focus. Specific songs spark my imagination. Sometimes tho when i get really really into it, i have to turn the music off otherwise I feel like my brain is overloading and that my head will promptly explode. :D

10. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

Depends on the music. But I'm finding it difficult to
    concentrate in this heat lol sweltering in London.

11. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

Same here in Chicago! Thank God For Air Conditioning!

12. Feivel

Feivel New Member

I can't listen to music while I read, but I actually find it quite hard to write in silence.

13. Scott Berman

Scott Berman New Member

I can't do anything in silence, it creeps me out way too much, but I can't work with music on either as it would distract me. I have music ADD, I would constantly have to stop and change songs halfway through. I just live in a room where I have 3 fans constantly blowing, their enough noise for me to focus.

14. c.a.rice

c.a.rice New Member

When writing, I prefer to have hard rock or heavy metal playing in my headphones. It helps block out the ambient and sometimes raucous noise of the television and kids in the background. The music needs to be that which I am already familiar or it can become distracting. On occasion, when I need a change of pace, I will choose heavy and dramatic classical. As someone else mentioned, some of my music playlists are designed to help set the ambiance, mood, and pace for a scene or dialog I am writing. When reading...light sound or very quiet music is preferred.

15. I Am Vague

I Am Vague Active Member

I write to music or nothing gets done. It keeps my ears tuned out to every distraction, and it keeps my attention on my story line.

16. inkyliddlefingers

inkyliddlefingers New Member

I find I can have classical music playing and still write, but if there are lyrics of any kind, then I end up listening and singing in my head. I think it is becasue I am not musical at all (although I can kind of play the harmonica enough so you recognise the tune!) but I AM a writer/poet first, foremost, only;and the words to a song always 'hook' me. I prefer absolute silence, really though. Even the computer distracts me too much (which is why I am typing this instead of writing my novel!) so I prefer to write by hand. In total silence, if possible.

I always wanted to by the kind of writer who could sit in a cafe, or the British Library and pen a masterpiece, but I just can't write in those environs; I'm too nosey and end up watching/listening to people. I do get some great ideas from those snatches of conversation, though so it is not totally wasted time...

17. jamezb3

jamezb3 New Member

I like to listen to orchestral music when I study, anything with lyrics seems to distract me.

18. paul stewart

paul stewart Banned

I find any distraction puts me off, need silence to write so I can concentrate.

19. moscowwoah

moscowwoah New Member

No, when I am writing, I like silence. When I am editing, or re-writing I don't mind certain types of music, but nothing too loud.

20. Kenn

Kenn New Member

I always listen to music while writing. I find it helps with the mood when writing.

21. BBBurke

BBBurke New Member

I agree with the classical music. Lyrics distract me when writing, but silence is too intimidating. I've even customized a Pandora playlist to focus on the right kind of classical music - Baroque stuff, heavy on the strings works best, nothing too modern or harsh.

On the other hand, I can read through anything. In fact, the more distractions the better: TV on, radio going, people talking, train moving - it's all good. I can still lose myself in the book.

22. fwc577

fwc577 New Member

My ipod always runs. Sometimes I will switch to songs that have a tone similar to what I'm writing but it isn't always necessary. I often ignore the words when I get into the writing.

23. lost123

lost123 New Member

Reading and writing are enjoyable when the tv is on.Music is too distracting because people tend to daydream while listening to music.

24. fwc577

fwc577 New Member

Thats excellent if you're writing your day dreams :D

25. Bell City Fires

Bell City Fires New Member

The radio. Having to select the next song interrupts the flow of my writing. There is a definite signature to the music I am listening to and the writing that I am producing.