Can You Tell Between He or She or Both?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Cacian, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Thanks :) Though would love to know if I got any right, lol.

No, have never read Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. Never really had any interest in it, I guess. I wouldn't say he's sexist, actually. More, observant, perhaps? I mean there are stereotypes that we all have whether we want to admit it or not, it's just the way it is. I think the main difference is whether you're using them maliciously or not. If that makes sense.

2. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Male
    Female
    Female
    Male

Not sure why, but I feel more 'certain' about some (namely 2 and 4) than others. But still, it's just guesswork.

I'm curious now.

3. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Male
    Female
    Male
    Female

judging from the first impression, i admit i didn't do very much thinking on this :)

4. je33ie

je33ie New Member

The results are in - and the winner is... Trish! With 100% correct.

Just out of interest, here are the percentages of answers for male/female for each of the stories:

[HR][/HR]

Example 1
    My brother Timmy's Halloween party started with a parade of high school guys, six packs in hand, piling out of rusted pick-up trucks and climbing the stairs over the garage into a smoky room where loud music blasted through tall free-standing speakers.

Male - Geoffrey Smagacz
    http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/BrokGlob890.shtml

Male guessed correctly - 3 out of 7 = 43%

Example 2
    I need my rent money before the fifteenth this man says to me. He's my landlord and he lives beneath me in the basement apartment with his wife and dogs. I don't know how many dogs and I don't know what they look like because I've never seen them but I've heard them. I've heard them at three, four, five o'clock in the morning. Howling and moaning. It sounds as if they are conjuring demons.

Male - Marcus Bleecker
    http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/Gnom891.shtml

Male guessed correctly - 4 out of 7 = 57%

Example 3
    Vusi Makusi was a terminal optimist. He was an optimist even though he lived in one of the poorest places in the world, even though he only owned one suit, and his trousers didn't reach his ankles.

Female - Ursula Wills-Jones
    http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/VusiMaku899.shtml

Female guessed correctly - 2 out of 7 = 29%

Example 4
    Your mother had always loved India, although she'd never been there. Your father had once, during the war. Crowds, he'd said when you'd begged him to tell you about it. Hot, he admitted when you pleaded for more.

Female - Sarah Salway
    http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/TantSex888.shtml

Female guessed correctly - 4 out of 7 = 57%

[HR][/HR]

Of course, this is all assuming that the gender-specific names aren't just pen names of the writers who are actually of the opposite sex :p

5. Cacian

Cacian Banned

@ je33ie

now that's exactly what I was pointing out.
    No one really knows because these names could be anyhting.
    Thank you for taking time to run this test for us.:)
    Maybe suggest that few of us here write somthing about a topic ( 5 to 10 lines), post them them here then check who did what for confirmation.
    That's of course if anyone is interested.

6. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

@ je33ie - Thank you for posting the game, it was fun and I appreciate the time you put into it. Can't wait to read that Sarah Salway story! Thanks so much :)

See, you've made this little thing where you can't lose (in your head). You say you can ALWAYS tell what gender the author is, then, when you're wrong, you say 'well they're not really who they're saying they are'. Must be nice.

Well, because that really irritated me I've done a little digging. Took me all of 10 minutes. If that.

Geoffrey Smagacz READING a poem (pretty sure the voice is a dude, shrug) Also, there's a blog you can find with google. But here's the poem recording http://www.14by14.com/Issue8/WhichSideIWalk.html

Ursula Wills-Jones profile and interview (with PIC!) nope, she's female. http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/ursula-wills-jones

Sarah Salway has pics, interviews, all kinds of stuff everywhere. But here's her blog, with a pic! - http://sarahsalway.blogspot.com/

So, the only one I couldn't find a lot on was Marcus Bleecker (because there's also a musician by that name and it's not that important to me to sift through it all). So I guess Marcus could be a woman. Of course, that's the only one you got right... do you really want to question it?

And posting samples of our own is no different than what we just did, other than that many of us know the genders of the other people who would be posting.

I mean sure, it's fun that I got them right, and it's cool, and it's like 'Woot!', but seriously? It's not helpful to anything writing related. And the only one who ever made it a huge deal was YOU and now you're looking for reasons why those answers are wrong? I don't play with sore losers. I don't play with people who can't say 'Oops I was wrong, I CAN'T do what I said I can'. No, I don't want to play another round.

7. VM80

Two out of four.

Thanks that was interesting.

8. art

art Contributor Contributor

0 out of 4! :cool: Nicely done je33ie.

Merely proves I'm gender-blind of course (in all matters save the allocation of sexual favours and domestic chores.) So, in a sense, a very meaningful sense, I kind of win.:)

9. je33ie

je33ie New Member

You're all welcome :) I enjoyed running it!

With the percentages around 50% for 1, 2 and 4, you could say they were 50/50 guesses anyway.

With number 3, you would have had more luck flipping a coin.

1 person likes this.
  10. VM80

The ones I was 'sure' about were the ones I got wrong. Nice lesson, really.

I wonder how much the quality of one has an impact on the quality of the other.

Perhaps they should conduct a study on that.