1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. The villainess

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Banned

Can't decide how to open my next story.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by ToeKneeBlack, Feb 16, 2016.

Time for me to start planning book #3 - "Stormbringer: Haunted City"

I have three starting points for this story;
    #1 - The hero from the first volume, June Anderson, (the Stormbringer) has been tracking down the man responsible for the murders of half her adoptive family. Her adoptive father is worried about the 14-year-old, but she's confident in the strength afforded by her superhuman abilities.

#2 - A trio in a school in another city are shunned by the other children. They hang out together because of their "unique" powers which they use to play pranks on the other kids, but keep hidden from the teachers. A newcomer of about the same age is transferred from another school and is being bullied for accidentally burning another kid's lunch (due to a power she has yet to learn to control). After figuring out the four of them were born at the same hospital within a week of each other, they resolve to track down any other children who might have been born under similar circumstances. All four of them are new to the series.

#3 - The villain of the piece and a newcomer to the series, Alexandra "Lexa" Estival, aka the Illusioness was born blind and deaf. Her introduction will be one of the following:
    a - As a possible prologue, her parents are freaked out by hallucinations which only appear when they're within close range of their infant child. Unable to cope, they give her up for adoption.
    OR
    b - As a 14-year-old, she lives alone with a former stray cat which acts as her eyes and ears. A child fleeing a street gang seeks refuge in the dilapidated house she calls home. Initially insulted that the kid thinks she's a witch, she notices his pursuers and proceeds to make them hallucinate their worst fears and drives them off. After being thanked by the child, the Illusioness decides that she enjoys making people come face to face with their nightmares, especially if they themselves make others suffer. Unfortunately she's not very forgiving...

I can't seem to decide how to open the story, but I do want to (re)introduce all of the above characters.
    Who would you introduce first?

2. ddavidv

ddavidv Senior Member

#1 doesn't have much of a hook IMO.

#2 is interesting and I would consider reading a book based on just that.

#3a doesn't work at all for me.

#3b is enticing.

Ultimately I chose #2 as I found it the most approachable as someone generally 'meh' over fantasy stories.

3. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Banned

Thanks ddavidd, I might introduce them in the order #2, #3b, #1 with #3a being explained either later in the book or in a future title.