1. MrPizzle

MrPizzle New Member

Can't decide on a supernatural weapon.

Discussion in 'Research' started by MrPizzle, Dec 24, 2013.

Pretty much, someone finds a tool which he turns into a weapon which allows the user to kill others at any time around the globe, however, I'm unsure on how it will kill. I've brainstormed a few ideas but unsure which is more creepy or perhaps too excessive? The weapon must not kill, its purpose isn't to kill, but to control. However the protagonist finds a loop hole to kill people, hence why one of the options makes the victim commit suicide.

1. Victims are quickly dragged somewhere by ghost like hands, the hands can appear from anywhere, from the walls, the floor or from above. Never to be seen again. I feel this idea isn't satisfying enough, the killer needs to get satisfaction from it, simply making people disappear isn't as satisfying as watching someone drop dead. I don't want to get into detail about what ultimately happens to the victim, I believe it makes it sound more sinister.

2. Victims commit suicide via any means.

3. The victims is dragged by hands and disappear, however the bodies do turn up again at random times and are found in public places. Their faces are twisted with fear and appear almost inhuman. I feel that this is a bit excessive having the victims bodies appear in public places.

If anyone has any ideas, please share. What would you find scary if people were randomly dying/disappearing/committing suicide around the planet?

2. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

It's kinda hard to say if you don't give us the full context.

As in why it was created, why does the character use it, what's the purpose of this power and what's the end game goal.

3. MrPizzle

MrPizzle New Member

I simply need a supernatural tool turned into a weapon, that's all. I'm just trying to figure out how it kills really. But it needs to be creepy and happen in rapid succession. The public play a huge part in the story, fearing for their lives as people are committing suicide/disappearing randomly around the world in masses and how the world will react to such. Issuing martial law, riots taking place in major cities taking advantage of the chaos caused by the something un

There is no reason for it to exist, it just does. There is a reason behind it, but its pretty insignificant in the story, only mentioned 3 or 4 times at the beginning. Its a physical anomaly created by a friction between the human world and another world, still have not decided yet.

The story is about how the character uses it and why, a story about how power corrupts, but I want it to follow a similar theme to Breaking Bad, as in how not only the main character is affected, but how those around him are affected due to his actions, but also fear of the unknown, the fear of something hidden is silently killing/making people disappear in huge numbers around the world.

The character received it, by who is a spoiler.

The purpose of its existence is too control, in the story it is mentioned that many versions exist, each one varies in its power and the form it takes in. One notable one appears as a necklace, granting the wearer to write commands anywhere, on skin, paper, walls etc, as long he/she is wearing it, they can command any human being.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  4. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Might I recommend finding Death Note on Hulu? Granted, it's a Japanese series, so you need to be able to read at a third grade level ;) , but it definitely sounds like what you're looking towards, and last I checked it's free.

5. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I'm sorry but I think you are making this just way too complicated, and the more complicated you make it, the harder it will be for your reader to follow it.

6. MrPizzle

MrPizzle New Member

I'm sorry, I don't read manga, never liked it.

7. MrPizzle

MrPizzle New Member

How? I just need a way to make people die/disappear in huge numbers. It just needs to be sudden and creepy.

8. A.M.P.

If you explain it to the reader, it won't be creepy.

9. MrPizzle

MrPizzle New Member

Not to the reader no, but to the general public in the story yes, waking up to the news that people committing suicide on a mass scale for no reason at all would be pretty scary no? The general public play a huge part in the story.

10. A.M.P.

So, what's the tool he's using to kill people anyways?
    Sounds like all you need is to skip 30 years into the future and get chip implants.
    Guy somehow hacks them to fill the people's head with voices till they kill themselves.

11. MrPizzle

MrPizzle New Member

I was considering the necklace, receiving it as a gift through the post like any other package, the protagonist wears it and suspects nothing. A couple of weeks in, an unknown serial killer has become infamous around the globe, its only then he catches on and decides to test it to ensure if he was responsible for the deaths, which to his horror has been him, he has been the serial killer all along. He does go quite crazy after finding out.

At first, he is only issuing typical commands, none you would suspect off like 'pass me a drink' or 'open the door for me', but as an immature young man, he does sprout the odd insult like 'kill yourself' on the internet or on his games console. Typical stuff you hear when playing online games really.

I actually started off with your idea at first. But the story became too...joke like you could say, the main character was practically manipulating non-discovered civilizations. Eventually at the end, he becomes a god to different alien species centuries into the future after humanity has gone extinct, it wasn't supernatural but more advanced technology the main character was abusing, so I instead chose to keep the story based on Earth and stay more grounded.

Wouldn't you think that if a 20-25 year old man was practically committing a galactic mass genocide while no human is aware of what he is doing is a bit stupid?

12. A.M.P.

That sounds exactly like Death Note.

Other than that, I don't see what you're asking in your OP anymore.

13. MrPizzle

MrPizzle New Member

In that case then I'll scrap it and move back to the sci-fi setting. Thank you for your comments.

14. A.M.P.

It doesn't have to keep going and going until he becomes the evil mind-controlling super overlord of the galaxies.

You can easily keep it Earth based.

15. MrPizzle

MrPizzle New Member

It won't work on Earth. The tool he finds is simply just an information/database cube/sphere that can also hack, it contains all information of an existing galactic community which humanity does not know about. It can only affect the technology it was created from. Since humanity is not at that type of level yet, its useless on Earth.

I wanted to make the character be perceived as a Cthulhu like being by the galactic community, an unknown entity that is attacking at all fronts. Cyber and physical war. The "being" is simply a human.

And just like you mentioned,m, he can hack into aliens implants and short-circuit them, making them become vegetables.

The main character is the only one who knows aliens exist, so therefore no human can really stop him, who would believe someone who says the he is a galactic mass murderer?

He does have interesting goals however, he starts off with wanting to collect technology for humanity to help them progress, he starts stealing advanced technology blueprints and purposely locks them in a vault on the moon for humanity to one day find.

16. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I'm not good for this one right now. I'm in the middle of reading Hyperion and not much beats the weapons of the Shrike.

17. MrPizzle

MrPizzle New Member

I'm sorry, you lost me. I have not read many books in my life, particularly sci-fi.

18. A.M.P.

Why does it have to be exactly that?
    You wanted it to remain on Earth, right?
    So make it so.

19. GingerCoffee

The Shrike is a 9 foot tall half-mechanical, half-organic four armed creature that appears from nowhere, slices people into pieces or sometimes leaves nothing of the victim behind. It changes forms, a beautiful woman making love one minute then a mouthful of razor sharp metal teeth appear in the next. The muse of a poet that needs the blood of victims to keep writing, the keeper of crosses that turn their wearers into ever regrowing fungi, and I've not read beyond those parts in the book. ;)

20. MrPizzle

MrPizzle New Member

I have a separate question. Can the main character become a psychopath if he is killing intelligent beings 150 light years away? I mean he isn't killing them himself, he doesn't see their deaths, he just activates it.

He still has empathy for Humans and animals on Earth, he would still have guilt if he hurt someone, but because he has been killing non-humans in another star system, he doesn't feel guilt?

To him its like playing a video game, you wipe out many enemy units with say a mortar strike.

Its hard to ask this question and describe what I am saying. Killing humans by hand would surely mess someone up, killing humans by alternative means while watching would surely mess you up, by the protagonist is killing non-humans on another planet, beings he has never even spoke to, never met in person and has never even knew they existed.

Its like being anonymous online, you're a complete prick scamming people, manipulating people, upsetting/trolling people except in the story, he is a galactic "troll". But back to reality, you're just a normal guy. Your empathy is still intact and you would no doubt help someone if they were injured or distressed and you completely forget upsetting someone online,

21. MrPizzle

MrPizzle New Member

Sounds like Terminator to me?

22. GingerCoffee

Not much like the terminator except a lot of metal. Think more of a Freddy Krueger/Terminator/Shape-Shifter hybrid.

23. A.M.P.

He'd only be a psychopath if he does it knowingly they are going to be killed, he relishes in it, or something just as bad.

If he does it solely to get what he wants, it doesn't make him a psycho.
    Normies can do terrible things to reach their goal without being a psychopath.

Psychopaths generally had an overdose of serotonin at the natal stages and end up not producing enough of them to develop empathy and the like.
    That's what makes them psychopaths.
    Or something.

24. MrPizzle

MrPizzle New Member

The character at first is unsure if he can kill, curiosity does drive him to kill someone. At first he is horrified, but he fully believes he is killing for the right reasons.

He does get worked up/excited at the prospect of an entire galactic community threatening to hunt him down. He starts killing more and feels completely numb to it, only relishing in destroying someone when he believes "needs to be knocked down a peg".

He only gets thrills from utterly destroyed his challengers and begins to revel in gloating. But the trouble is, he isn't doing it in front of the victim, he is just sitting in his bedroom/house watching holographic screens.

Is he still a psychopath even if he felt terrible at first? I made him have a personal conflict about whether killing aliens is the same as killing Humans. His victims are many light years away, he isn't going out with a knife and stabbing everything he could see and bathe in their blood.

25. TLK

TLK Active Member

What about saying the weapon can be used to alter the emotional state of anyone, anywhere? Hence, the villain could use the weapon to fill a certain person with depressive, miserable emotions, up to the point where they are driven to commit suicide.