Tags:
  1. Clinkz

Clinkz Member

Can't tell if my twist is relevant...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Clinkz, Aug 3, 2018.

I'll try to sum it up:

Main character: beautiful girl who's loving father out of the blue became depressed and very agressive after something happening at the laboratory he used to work as a scientist. After such events, he left his job and changed severely, starting to physically abuse daughter and wife. The latter got the divorce and went off to live with the girl.

Three years after all that, MC has these recurring dreams and during the last one she finds a chest that contains a mystirious pill inside right before waking up. Weird signals appear in her life leading her to believe she must go to father former lab looking for answers. After a long undercover night search through the facilities (while off hours) she comes across a well hidden stash of pills.

Several years after that she is now 24, works 9 to 5 etc. She has been secretly taking the pills.

There are several things going on. The whole father/pills thing is somethig that adds a layers to the storyline, but is not the only layer, nor the central one.
    She is seducing and investigating a corrupt politician while dating him and also a federal agent whos after the politician as well.

I just don't know how to make the pill taking impact the story. I wanted for the pill the give her the abilities to never forget things she reads and also makes so she reads faster. Furthermore, the pills give her incredible focus and maybe makes her not able to fall in love?

This is the thing, I'm halfway on the book and I always had this idea of her finding and taking a newly invented pill that could change the world but is not out yet. But I just don't know how to tie this in. Ok she is living life, being her and all and she takes this pill once a week. But how is this relevant? I guess the main plot will be about her getting involved with men, seducing them to undercover a political scandal of major proportions. I'm also developing on the side a friendzoned chillhood friend who loves her but she only sees him as a dear friend.

How can I make this pill relevant to to story? Ok she takes it and read and remember everything, so what? As I'm writting it just seems silly, irrelevant.

2. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

To be completely honest it feel very confusing all together and the fact that you're half way though make me hope it makes more sense in the book than in this short re-telling of it.

3. Clinkz

Clinkz Member

It does make sense. The thing is: is a huge challenge for me trying to sum it up for you all in a way that is not super big or boring

4. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

It sounds like you have two different stories that doesn't match up at all...

If the pills and the seducing of politicians has any connecting-point you should probably mention that at least.

5. Clinkz

Clinkz Member

The pills are helping do her job, in the relationship and investigation. But how? What should be the effect of that pill

6. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I find it odd that you're halfway through the book and yet you don't know the effects of the pill? And what about side effects? There should always be one. Reading minds is probably an obvious one? Or maybe it makes her a sex goddess lol - helps people talk when you sleep with them and make them come back for more.

Why's she investigating the politician and why's she double dating?

How's her father connected with the investigation? How's the back story important? You've presented the reader with a mystery (the father was loving and has a sudden change of character, possibility related to these very same pills) - well, what actually happened? This should link back to the pills she's currently taking (are they the same pills?) and should impact on the investigation.

Perhaps is the politician in possession of the same pills, or some development of these pills, or about to buy out the company who's producing these pills or the scientists who are researching into them?