1. castingflame

castingflame New Member

Punctuation A quick question.... mark .... question.

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by castingflame, Mar 2, 2016.

Firstly I confess I am being lazy and have not done my normal hours long research before asking a community a question but here it goes.

Should I have Both question marks or just one at the end?

1. More of the Shamans magic?, you wonder, or just a natural phenomenon?
    or
    2. More of the Shamans magic, you wonder, or just a natural phenomenon?

and maybe the commas could use some work, but I was just wondering about the ? question :)

Are there any 'quick guide' resources for this sort of thing? Maybe something I could read on my mobile on my way to sleep :)

Thanks, Paul

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I'd go with option 2. It deals with exclamation points and quotes rather than question marks and thoughts, but rule #8 here is basically what you're talking about.

3. Wayjor Frippery

Wayjor Frippery Contributor Contributor

Hi castingflame, option 2 is the one you want, at least in standard English. You've got a compound sentence that contains questions, so you should stick the question mark at the end, where you'd normally put the full stop (or period, for those reading in American).

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I will chime in with the rest that Option #2 is what you want. You've at least made it easier in yourself by placing the attribution mid-sentence as an interjection, which makes the question mark at the end a much more cut and dry affair. Also, the word wonder, in this case, serves as a kind of verbal punctuation so regardless of how wrong that first question mark is in Option #1 (and it is wrong), it's presence isn't required. It might not read as prettily, but could be reworded as:

2. More of the Shamans magic, you question, or just a natural phenomenon?

Don't reword it to this last example. I provide it only to show how the meaning is unchanged because wondering is a flavor of questioning.

~Artemis~ likes this.
  5. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

This, and--- and--- could we please get us an apostrophe in Shaman's?

Or is it Shamans'? I'm not sure.

BayView and Lea`Brooks like this.
  6. castingflame

castingflame New Member

Well, left to my own devices, I would not have come up with the same conclusions as you all have. I guess this will change as I keep writing.

@izzybot - Great resource thank you. I have send myself a link to read it in bed.

@Wayjor Frippery - Thanks and I'll look at what a compound sentence is :)

@Wreybies - Makes sense and thanks.

@Catrin Lewis - Nice catch! I am sure my my entire little project is full of errors similar to that one but I will go through it after completion.

Well guys I hope to finish this 'little' game development exorcise in the next couple of days but, as I have enjoyed it so much, I have decided to make writing part of my game development learning pipeline. As far as I can see, it will only be a positive in my life and a benefit to the creation process of game development.

I thank you all for your continuing support. Knowing that there is a place like writingforums.org has been a major deciding factor to continue writing.

kind regards
    castingflame

Wayjor Frippery likes this.