Capitalizing 'he' in reference to Jesus but also to Muhammad?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Jeff Countryman, Jan 12, 2016.

1. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

My point, however, is that the Trinity isn't three separate deities. That would be Tritheism, and not what any sect of Christianity that I'm aware of teaches. Pluralis excellentiae is a separate matter.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

CMOS kind of trumps your random site from random guy, though. And CMOS says it's optional.

And, really, even your link, when not selectively quoted to prove your point, makes it clear it's optional. "If you capitalize pronouns that refer to God to show reverence for His name, fantastic! Continue doing so. If you capitalize pronouns that refer to God to make it more clear who is being referred to, great! Continue doing so.... Again, this is not a right vs. wrong issue. Each of us must follow his/her own conviction and each of us should refrain from judging those who take a different viewpoint."

So, if that site is your main source for this argument? Maybe you need to read it a bit more closely.

3. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

I bow to your more thorough research. However, I wasn't talking about fact (which can get confusing very quickly when talking about religion) but the convention expected by Christians.

4. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

A fair number of Christians don't expect it, though.

5. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

Okay. When I was growing up (in a predominantly-Christian community) it was. Perhaps things have changed.