Cat saves boy from dog attack

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rhduke, May 16, 2014.

1. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Well, some can tell if someone has cancer, so I doubt gender holds much in the way of mystery for them. ;)

Most animals, I get on better with the female of the species. Except for cats. All female cats seem to hate me. Greyhounds, both male and female are much of a muchness... males and females are very similar in many respects, temperament-wise. In cats I find the differences very apparent.

Is that just me, or do others feel similarly?

Edited to add: @GingerCoffee Talking of which... my greyhound knew I was pregnant before I did. She started getting leery of strangers and really protective. By the time I was showing, she insisted on lying curled round my bump. :D

minstrel likes this.
  2. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

Of course I don't want to argue about this subject but this is a part of the CNN news :
    http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/14/news/economy/postal-dog-bites/

What we see in this news are postal workers and we have to add to it the other people among children, as a sample of that is seen in the video

3. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Yeah, but that's nationwide. There are hundreds of millions of people in the US.

4. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

I saw this video last night. My first thought was about how awesome that cat was.

The second was what on earth led that dog to attack in the first place? Especially when I learned it wasn't a stray, but the neighbor's pet. The irresponsibility of owner's never ceases to amaze. I, of course, feel worst for the kid, but I also feel bad for the dog. :(

GingerCoffee likes this.
  5. Mans

Duchess,It is because, you love dogs and don't want to admit that the dogs can be dangerous,either for their owners or others, so you try to reduce the importance of the danger :p
    Have you been attacked by a huge bulldog in front of a house unaware [​IMG], to feel what I am saying? :D

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Right, and that is 5,500 out of 300 million people. So, 61 postal worker bites in a city of millions or 5,500 in a country of 300 million. Either way there aren't dangerous dogs on every street corner.

The news tends to make dangerous things look more common than they actually are.

minstrel likes this.
  7. GingerCoffee

8. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Yes, I have been attacked by a dog, but I still love dogs. Although dogs may attack people, there are not very many that do, and it's really the owner's fault.

9. Mans

Dear GingerCoffee, don't forget they are just 5,500 postmen and the persons that are attacked by bad-tempered dogs are more than the postal workers, specially children that are not attentive to released attacker dogs.
    Also the behavior of animals such as dog is not predictable. Sometimes they behave unlike what we expect because they behave based on their instinct not their logic.
    In the video, the dog sees the child like a hostile that is closing to its owner's region. In this instinctive condition it never understand the walker is just a little kid that is playing with his bike.

10. GingerCoffee

I didn't forget that. But just as one might think it is dangerous to travel in Iran because we heard about the 3 hikers that were imprisoned for more than a year, the news gives people distorted views of the dangers everywhere. Dogs are not something the average person in LA walks around worrying about. I grew up there, I know.

11. Mans

GingerCoffee, " The guest arrives from the door not from the windows" :D

12. GingerCoffee

You missed the point.

13. HelloThere

HelloThere Senior Member

I'm honestly not sure if my cat would do this for me, he's a bit of a douche.

14. Mans

Iran is a very secure country for tourists. It is an ancient land with a lot of amazing historical buildings and places. Also it has the various climates and views. people of Iran are a cultural, warm and hospitable people. They love the guests from every land and respect them. All the tourists that have traveled in Iran have had a good memory of Iran and its people. Iran has a lot of famous olden writers and poets and you can find the most able theosophic and philosophic poets in Iran.
    A poem of an olden poets of Iran (Saddi) is seen in the portal of the united nation building which has been chosen as the best message to humanity:

All Adam’s sons are limbs of one another,

Each of the self-same substance as his brother.

So while one member suffers aches and grief,

The other members cannot win relief.

Thou, who are heedless of the brother’s pain,

It is not right at all to name thee man.

Translator : (A.J. Arberry)

The literature of Iran is the most pure literature and it is not turned out except someone himself study about it and become familiar with this treasure.
    I mostly stay at home and get out seldom but whenever I walk in the city I see the convoy of buses are carrying tourists toward the historical places.
    Last week, I saw a group of Italian tourists were visiting an old and beautiful garden in Shiraz city " Eram garden" ( paradise garden).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. GingerCoffee

And LA is a safe city as well. That was my point. You get a distorted image of places you've never been from the news reports.

My parents lived in Iran for a year. Think I may have mentioned that to you. They came home for Christmas and could not return as the Shah was overthrown in the meantime. But a year later they got all their belongings back except my dad's clothes because the very nice, very civilized Iranians packed it all up for them and shipped it back to the US. Despite a revolution and all the negative things in the news here about the violence and hostage taking, I knew the average Iranian was a normal, nice, person and was not a terrorist.

16. Mans

Yes, it is , but released aggressive dogs can reduce the safety of its citizens, especially at night which dogs become more nervous.
    Excuse me Ginger, you had told me before, that you were in Iran for a while but regrettably I forgot it later :)

People of Iran are a honorable nation in the history. They stood in front of the weaponized police and army of Shah, with bare hands and could overthrown him eventually. Some group of people were killed and injured by direct shooting of Shah's police and army but they never got tired and never became disappointed and frightened. Nobody can meet a people in the history to be able to overcome a weaponized army, with bare hand. That was the revolution and victory of faith against gun. I say truly, the nation of Iran are heroes.

Last edited: May 19, 2014