1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

Causation or Correlation of Divorce Rates of Southern Protestant Conservatives?

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Garball, Jan 18, 2014.

Is being a staunchly conservative protestant in the South driving wedded couples to divorce? According to this article: http://www.latimes.com/world/worldnow/la-sci-sn-red-states-religious-conservative-divorce-20140116,0,7835151.story#axzz2qlrjaa1X , it is.

However, after reading the article, I thought it was obvious that the researchers answered the causality and tacked on religious preference as the cause.

Having lived only in the South, I can only speak of what I know about Southern culture and cannot apply it to other areas of the US. The vast majority of us have some sort of Christian Church affiliation. There is a very high number of immature couples getting married right out of high school or soon thereafter. I do not see a causal relationship between the two statistics.

Living in Louisiana, it is not uncommon to find people in Saints jerseys who have never watched a game in their life except by accident because it was on the TV in the bar. In my opinion, checking the religious box on a census "down here" is as common and truly meaningful as a Midwesterner admitting to owning a snow shovel. It is just a way of life.

What's your take?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.