Censorship

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by ojduffelworth, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributor Contributor

The fact that your son is a wheelchair user and you hold these ambivalent views towards equality is even more baffling to me. I don't care about people 'liking' me. I care about discrimination. I am totally stunned that you think I won't think your son has encountered prejudice - that's why I have the views I do!!

We're at an impasse. Can we not just agree to disagree? I feel like the fundamental point of trying to push society towards more progressive attitudes to minorities is lost here. It's the fundamental belief I have that underpins my views here. If you object to that then there's nothing I can do. All I can say is this:

NOTHING would get better with sheer indifference to progress. History has shown us that.

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Are you saying you cannot have meaningful, intelligent debate with people who disagree with your views?

Look, we both agree that racial discrimination is sad, immature and wrong. We simply disagree about the best approach to solving the problem.

Evelon, rock on, and I wish the best of strength to your disabled son.

3. evelon

evelon Active Member

OK. We'll agree to disagree.

Although I think that society has come a long way in accepting minorities. And that, I do believe is a good thing.

But, just for the record, I don't like discrimination, of any sort. And I won't discriminate against people who's views are different than mine. And that includes B&B owners who also want to live their lives according to their own beliefs.

It's been a good debate though - and at least we haven't come to blows.

4. evelon

evelon Active Member

Thanks Mallory, He's doing fine.

Seems the minority in this case is us. And as a minority, you't think they'd tolerate us a bit more!

5. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

If you don't agree with who is suffering those that want to stop suffering will, in their own way, make you suffer.

It isn't hypocritical. It's not stupid.

It's amazingly awesome that they get away with doing what they claim is wrong. They should teach a class.

6. Peerie Pict

You're getting a bit hysterical about feeling victimised. If you want to go there - it's just as easy to say it's ironic that you are getting your knickers in a twist about feeling victimised, when prejudice and victimisation is the very thing I stand resolutely against.

If you want to engage on the actual issues and take it down from 'ideology' then I'm happy to do that. I think my position is a well trodden path and it's probably pointless to go there again but here goes - people aren't allowed in the UK to make money out of their discriminatory beliefs. They are free to do it in their own time and I would fight for that right. Again, in your idea of utopia people would have carte blanche to be as discriminatory as they like. I've merely stated I don't want to live in that world.

7. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

I wonder how people know that they are right in their thinking. It's a bit self absorbed.

8. Peerie Pict

You think you're right too - given your strong views here!! Pot, kettle?

9. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Alright, this is way off topic, and has gone far enough.

I'm shutting it down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.