1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Challenges writing a series

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Elgaisma, Aug 12, 2010.

I always knew my story was going to be one of many I had put 14 years of thought into it before setting pen to paper no way was I going to get all the ideas into one book lol

However wonder how others approach it. I know the stories have to stand alone but I am now needing to rewrite my first book to resurrect a character, change the colour of a bird and to put my character who had changed his identity back to his original one. And I have only written one and a half chapter of number two lol.

Its fine now I am not published and may never be. But if I do become published then I will no longer have the luxury of rewriting the previous books. There are several series of books where I can see the author could have done with going back.

Has anyone planned theirs out and how have you done it?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This is yet another reason it's a mistake to think "series" when you are working on your first novel.

You have enough to concern you when you are working on your first novel.

I currrently have two novels in progress. One is clearly a stand-alone. It spans millenia, and there is absolutely no point in making it part of a series.

The other? Yes. I know there is a a potential for at least one sequel. I even have an idea what an immediate sequel could be, and yes, I have toyed with the idea. But I stop myself, and I focus on the novel in the works. I alternate work on the two novels in progress, and set aside any notion of series or sequels. I can work on the two in alternation because they are absolutely independent of each other.

I don't need the distraction, or the complications. I have a full plate as it is.

When I have the manuscript complete, the one that could have a sequel, then and only then can I seriously consider a sequel. Maybe even while I am polishing up that manuscript, making it truly shine - maybe then I can consider leaving some breadcrumbs for a sequel.

But not before.

3. Elgaisma

If I had given my sequel more thought whilst writing book number 1, I wouldn't now be needing to rewrite it:) The changes sound huge but are fairly minor I am just going to give a suggestion the character that died might not be dead etc

Technically mine isn't a series, its the original novel I sat down to write. I told the same story from eight different stand points but it didn't work that well. So instead I am telling sections of the story from eight different stand points. Just don't like my chances of getting a 600,000 word novel published:) Its more an epic:)

Its a positive joy to write, right now I am loving viewing my main character from the first story from a completely different angle. Next book I am hoping to do his wife. Then the husband of my current main character.

I just don't want to be like my friend who had to rewrite six novels in order to get her character to die the way she wanted him too.

4. erik martin

erik martin Active Member

The first book that I wrote for publication, which I have been querying recently, thus far without success, stands alone, though I envision it as being a three or four book series. I had that in mind while writing it, but carved nothing in stone except for what I felt I needed to make the first book as good as I possibly could. (I now am considering the possibility that it is not as good as it can possibly be, but that is a whole separate issue.) Once I had the first one set down, I created some loose outlines for subsequent books based on what I had created in the first.

1 person likes this.
  5. Elgaisma

I do understand, my rewrites are now not because I am unhappy with my first novel though its the best it can be at this stage in my life, the only one that actually benefits it is changing the bird. The others don't do it any detriment they allow the story to progress in a similar way they just help bring out different characters. Now I have written it its time to think about selling it.

I have not grown up with a burning desire to write, and I am not the sort of person to die for my art. I have gone from a hobby to thinking commercially, can I make a career of this? Don't know but I now want to do try. Fact with junior fiction/YA fiction a series is a sensible career move. I know as a child I devored series after series of books from St Clares, Famous Five, Chalet School, Babysitters Club, Chronicles of Narnia, Just William, Mallory Towers, etc

Also the second book will i think have some doors closed to it because of the subject matter, the first one will be easier to sell. Guess I just have to hope for the best lol

6. Sang Hee

Sang Hee New Member

Come to think of it I've also spent over 10 years developing not just one story but the entire world. Started at the end of the basic school and even now I still develop more elements to make the world richer. I wrote one big story and then several others smaller to explain all the characters' backgrounds and some other events. I definitely take long time to do it but I don't take my time, if you understand. I try to be as active as possible but it feels like it's a lot to do by only one person. I'm never bored.
    It's not easy when one has to lay everything on himself :/

1 person likes this.
  7. Elgaisma

LOL bit like playing God huh? I just can't imagine saying goodbye to the world and its characters that quickly.

8. Sang Hee

Sang Hee New Member

Yeaaaah, no. It's not that bad. Guess we all find some world in which we can lose ourselves. For me this world is it.

9. Elgaisma

yep and with mine I am writing it in first person and present tense so whilst I am writing I have to become that person whilst I am working. Right now I am 6ft2, 29 year old gay man. At least this time I share hair colour with my character:)

I am just so excited about this particular book. I love book one but I am really feeling like this book is almost sounds daft to say my destiny to write it. Even if its rubbish and noone else likes it I am having such a blast so far. Even if I am getting sick of listening to John Barrowman singing What About US, but its very much my inspiration.

Yours will happen and you will get there:)